Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
Just noticed this but, I thought the 2013s came with the new lighter color seat. My 52 did.
I think they gave him a option. I have a new seat I put on the older mower. I like the new seat by time will tell how it holds up compared to the michigan.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Can you tell the speed difference between the briggs and kohler units?
Posted via Mobile Device
I also noticed the rear frame is different (thought this stopped but its a kohler thing I'm guessing). What's the rear length difference between the two? The kohler will be shorter. You can measure the roll bar frame point to the back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looks perfect except for those damn useless rops!!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Can you tell the speed difference between the briggs and kohler units?
Posted via Mobile Device
I can definitely tell a huge power difference. I wouldn't have figured it but even when you're sitting still, deck up, and you engage the blades... there is a noticeable difference in the Briggs. It sounds and feels like a much higher velocity.

As for ground speed, there is no speed difference between them - they both run at 12mph. I don't know if that's something they changed for the 2013 models or not. The Scag website shows the 29 Kohler as 10.5mph but at the dealership they have brochures / literature advertising the Kohler 29hp at 12mph. I clocked both the 35 and the 29 with gps and they both run between 11.5 and 12.

Honestly, Scag needs to keep their website more current. I mean, there are engine options listed there that are no longer even available. Plus, there are several other inconsistency's.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
What a beautiful sight!!! Keep us posted on the differences between the Big Block and the Kohler EFI. I just picked up a 52" 29 Kohler too so I am anxious to hear the differences because my next one will probably be a 61" Big Block powerhouse.

Love them Scags
Congrats on the TT, Runner!

Yep, I plan on keeping a close eye on those machines and taking note of the differences. I'm falling in love with the shear raw power of the 35 but we'll see about fuel consumption. Kinda like a woman - if she's robbing your wallet, you tend to fall out of love pretty quick.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Just noticed this but, I thought the 2013s came with the new lighter color seat. My 52 did.
Yep, like dj said, I chose the Michigan seat over the new scag seat. That new seat is really comfy though and I love the weight control knob much better than the Michigan. But the Michigan has lumbar support which I definitely want and I just felt it was a little more industrial and would stand up to wear and tear a little better. Really, I would've been happy either way.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I also noticed the rear frame is different (thought this stopped but its a kohler thing I'm guessing). What's the rear length difference between the two? The kohler will be shorter. You can measure the roll bar frame point to the back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep, the Briggs is definitely longer. If I think of it when I'm out there, I'll measure the difference. My trailers have "D" rings every 7' and I have to load a 29hp first, the 35hp second, so they'll line up with the "D" rings for tie down. If I load the 35hp first, it sticks out too far to be able to tie down the 29hp behind it.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Very, very nice!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
Honestly, Scag needs to keep their website more current. I mean, there are engine options listed there that are no longer even available. Plus, there are several other inconsistency's.
They need to keep some of the older stuff on to help dealers sell new old stock and distributors inventory.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Awesome mowers! when are you going to get some dirt and grass on those bad boys?