Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Changinging hydro oil on an X-One?

Hi Brian, I have an X-One that I purchased new last July (2012)
(Model #931782) (Serial #12050233).
I"d like to change the hydraulic oil before mowing season starts here in Ohio.
Do you have a service or shop manual that will tell me how to do this?
Can you tell me the part # for the filter and what oil I need to use?
Do I need to bleed the system after I change the oil? If so, how do I do this?
Thank you,
Jerry
Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Sponsor

Jerry,
Your machine is the same as a 930545 but you have the seat upgrade on yours. If you go to the Hustler website at hustlerturf.com on the bottom of the page you'll see links to manuals. One the left side is owners and the right are parts. Scroll down to a 930545 or 931782 and you can download the books you need. On the parts you'll see in section 3 they call for a 601141 filter for your drive. These are self bleeding drives. When you pull the filter it will drain your system.

Brian O
Old 03-17-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

By self bleeding, can I assume you mean, pour the fluid in until the full mark and then drive it?

Can you cross reference that part number (601141) to something that we can pick up at one of the local parts stores?

Rob

I have an X-One that is coming due on the Hydro's also.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Sponsor

When it comes to aftermarket filters I don't crossover. Stick with the OEM. Tires, pulley, bearings are one thing, filters and belts are something else.

Brian O
Old 03-17-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

do you apply the same philosophy to engine oil filters?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Sponsor

For the most part yes. I use Fram in my personal vehicle, but I can not be curtain the Fram crossover for my Super Z is a direct match, so I stick with OEM.
I've seen too many poor filters in my life and I'm too old to take chances...

Brian O
Old 04-08-2013, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Finally got sometime over the weekend to get the hydraulic oil changed. I was a little nervous about doing this. I was worried about getting air in the system and causing problems. All went well! It's a pretty simple process. Hustler has done a good job engineering things for easy maintenance. My other concern was getting oil on the belts but, the belts were out of the way of the drain plug and weren't an issue.

I had read some horror stories on the net about filter prices being in the $80 range so I was pleasantly supprised when it cost me $28.16.

Brian,
I used Mobil 1 15w-30 is that ok?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Sponsor

Jerry,
On my post above I suggested to go to our website at hustlerturf.com and look up the part numbers and the service manuals. Hydro pumps create a lot of heat. Even though I'm a big fan of Mobil One the 10W30 will be a stretch in Ohio. In the service manual on around page 4-3 it suggest using Mobil One 15W50. I'm not good with 10W30. You'll be fine with just changing the oil, the filter can stay.

Brian O
Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Oops! That was a type-o. I used Mobil-1 15w-50.
Not, 15w-30.
Thanks for the quick reply!
Jerry
Old 04-12-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

The operators manual that came with my X-ONE is very specific about SAE 20W50 SL/SM for the Hustler X-ONE. Then next sentence says use only 15W50 Mobil One for the Super Z as the manual covers both models. Soon I will do the 50 HR hydraulic system oil/filter change on my new X-ONE. I just ordered the parts needed and a set of blades from the selling dealer. This machine has a 60" rear discharge deck with blades that are not as common as side discharge decks.
I strongly recommend to everyone that has purchased a new or used machine of any make, to read and understand the operators manuals, many of which can be found on line if a manual didn't come with the machine.
For one of my customers I have blocked out or crossed out all the information in his operators manual that doesn't pertain to his specific machine to reduce confusion as he has a vision problem.
Bob MacGregor in CT