Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Need advice for dealing with mud

I have an issue and its actually wearing on me..

My own house, I have a large path rut that has formed from moving 50 truck loads of fill dirt via bobcat across the front lawn. Great Georgia clay.

At this point it's 12-14" deep of pure mud! I have a 773 which has wheels and I spin non stop. I barely get any traction. It's been in the sun for 3 days and still mud. I tried smoothing it with a bucket but it doesn't change much. Anyone have any ideas? The pathway is about 60 ft long which makes it hard to put things like rock down. I also want to grow sod after it so rock isn't my ideal option

. Anyone ? I really don't want to rent a track machine nor buy ott's
Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not much you can do but let it dry out. When ever you are driving any machine over wet ground try to avoid driving in the same ruts all the time .

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

once it turns to mud hard to get it back to more solid espically with it being clay that holds water. try putting down mats or plywood that you can go over. That or continually scrape and pile and then put back in after.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Had the same problem on a job this past week with my 773.. Except I was trying to load dirt out, it was so muddy I could get around in it(barely) until I set the bucket down.. I tried digging down to try ground but no luck since i couldnt get traction.. Just had to let it dry out though...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Adding wood chips or shreds can help fill in the ruts or give you something to drive one. Problem is, if the mud doesn't have a bottom, it will keep pumping but it might buy you time. If it's critical work, oversize rocks, in the ruts as a stabilizer helps then you can always put dirt over it later for a yard. I hate mud, too, and short of using mats, it's hard to work with. Luckily where I live mud is rare though I'd trade some downtime for some much needed rain!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 04-08-2013, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That red Georgia clay is nasty. I have run larger floatation tires in muddy ground conditions with excellent results. I believe that 31's would fit your machine. They are kinda hard to find. CAT may have them on hand. It would not be cheap as you need the wider rims, but once you get set up, its nice to throw those on in the Spring or on certain jobs that require more floation. They saved my butt several times before I had a tracked machine.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys.

I was thinking plywood. It would almost certainly get pressed into the mud but might be at the right pace.
Anyone know a source for used scrap plywood?

I had actually thought about trying to dig to a bottom but would have a hell of a time doing it. Also thought about maybe getting a tracked machine for a day but undecided. Its certainly cheaper than tires.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

1 inch plywood works wonders, hammer in some stakes to keep the sheets secure and avoid sharp turns. I did a ditch cleaning job in 2011 all off 500 feet of plywood sheets.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact-Vector View Post
Thanks Guys.

I was thinking plywood. It would almost certainly get pressed into the mud but might be at the right pace.
Anyone know a source for used scrap plywood?

I had actually thought about trying to dig to a bottom but would have a hell of a time doing it. Also thought about maybe getting a tracked machine for a day but undecided. Its certainly cheaper than tires.
Track machine rental on the front end would have been the answer. Any idea how many hours of site repair you'll have to do to restore the side yard to a point that grass grows wothout still seeing tire tracks three years from now?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
Track machine rental on the front end would have been the answer. Any idea how many hours of site repair you'll have to do to restore the side yard to a point that grass grows wothout still seeing tire tracks three years from now?
Well thats a hard question. Mainly because I own the bobcat and so I would like to drive it around in the future. I have considered pouring a driveway around but dont see the value of spending $3k on that either.

I want to do a retaining wall as well which means more driving so outside of a pebble driveway (which I dont think would work with clay) I may have to suck up the fact I need the concrete driveway :/