Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Phosphorus in CT?

Anyone here about a new law in CT about putting down phosphorus this year? I heard it went into effect but had no clarification.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well if they are going to follow NY. Here.

http://www.lawntolake.org/PDFs/NY_lawresphos.pdf
Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandCLandscape View Post
Anyone here about a new law in CT about putting down phosphorus this year? I heard it went into effect but had no clarification.

Where did you get this information from ?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some biz in CT had to pull products from shelves even with natural phosphorus...The new law is crap. But farmers are ok...Go figure.

I still use fert with it..come find me.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There's a reason there's trying to manage phosphorus inputs, which is primarily to protect inland aquatic ecosystems. Phosphorus is usually the limiting nutrient in an inland water body, so inputs of phosphorus are largely responsible for the algae blooms that plague many inland surface water bodies. Many years ago (mid 90s maybe) I was involved in a study of Lake Pocotopaug as part of a my graduate work at the University of New Haven. Like many other inland water bodies, Lake Pocotopaug had a history of algal blooms and resultant fish kills. It kind of ruins the lake cottage experience when all the fish are dead and it smells so bad that you're gagging. It's a real problem that our state has dealt with for a long time.

I don't do applications so I haven't really followed what's going on and what any new regulations might be.

Here's the link to the CT DEEP info page on phosphorus. http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a...epNav_GID=1654
Old 04-07-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

problem is farmers still can use it and anyone can buy tripple 19 and use it on lawns. Again the new laws in CT are well, um, do zero to help.

When it is not "legal" to put down natural phosphorus, made from the earth, that is pretty bad. The good thing is I got all the recalled products for almost zero....thanks CT!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of leaves decaying in the waterways here in Wisconsin... leaves rotting in the waterways contain lots of P and other things like OM... rotting leaves contributes to the lion's share of algae bloom in the waterways as well as the stink...

Grass does not need any more P when managed correctly... for those lawns that overwater and harvest huge amounts of fodder year after year,,, should be limitted anyways...

Farmers harvest,,, becuz it is the harvest that makes the food and many food stuffs are annual and will require P to be applied each season... grass does fine with N and proper management...

BTW,,, unless some incompetant is dumping P on surfaces that easily wash into the waterways,,, the only significant contribution to P in waterways is actual erosion...
Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx24 View Post
problem is farmers still can use it and anyone can buy tripple 19 and use it on lawns. Again the new laws in CT are well, um, do zero to help.

When it is not "legal" to put down natural phosphorus, made from the earth, that is pretty bad. The good thing is I got all the recalled products for almost zero....thanks CT!
In my opinion, whether it's natural or not is of no relevance. It contributes to eutrophication of water bodies. It kind of takes away from the experience of having a waterfront property when there are rotting fish on the shore.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
In my opinion, whether it's natural or not is of no relevance. It contributes to eutrophication of water bodies. It kind of takes away from the experience of having a waterfront property when there are rotting fish on the shore.
It would make the most sense to Clean Up the primary source, rather than trivialize over ferts that only become a problem with foolish people...
The problem hasn't gone away on our lakes since the ban... only areas of the lakes that were cleaned had clean water w/out floating stench... and that has always been true,,, even before the ban...
Old 04-09-2013, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Farmers can put down 2,000 lbs and be ok but homeowners bad......... Sad laws......Joke really.when will shep grow up.