Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Unsafe fuel problem Mini z

I havent started my mower this season and today I was changing the oil on my Mini z model #927236 with a 19 hp Kawasaki FH601V. I had the drain plug open and the oil was all drained out so I decided to fill the fuel tanks with fresh fuel. After I filled them I turned the fuel shut off valve open and gasoline started pouring out of the oil drain plug and also the bottom of the exhaust pipe where it connects together. I closed the fuel shut off valve and the gasoline stopped pouring out of the oil drain plug. I bumped the starter and turned the key on and off a few times to make sure I could hear the fuel pump click on and I could hear it click. Now I can turn on the fuel shut off valve and no fuel is pouring out anywhere. Is something wrong somewhere? Anyone have any information. this is a big concern to me, I dont want to catch my mower on fire or burn up my engine due to gasoline in the engine.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Sponsor

Your Mini Z does not have a electric fuel pump so the sound you are hearing is most likely the solenoid in the carb turning on and off. an issue that we see in the field no matter what color machine you have is when the float valve gets stuck open allowing fuel to flow into the crankcase and end up leaking out of the muffler. with a vacuum style fuel pump this normally happens after the engine has been run and a siphon effect allows the fuel past the pump. Having the fuel pour out of the crank case and muffler when you open the fuel valve and stop when you close it I don't have an answer for. I would first clean the carb and replace the float valve. We must first stop the leak, then we can address the crankcase. In the meantime please don't crank the engine over with raw fuel in the crankcase. Turning the key on is fine, bumping the starter is not. Before taking the carb apart, are you sure fuel is coming out of the crankcase and not just looking like it is. Thinking a mouse might have chewed your fuel line and it's spilling out near you drain not out of it.

Brian O
Old 04-10-2013, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Member

I definitely had fuel come out of the drain plug after opening the fuel shut off. That is why I bumped the starter, hoping to close the intake valves. I believe that is when the fuel began to come out of the exhaust. After turning the key off and on it seems to have almost stopped even with the fuel shut off open. The engine was run out of fuel at the end of last season and sat empty all winter. It sounds right that the float valve is stuck open. I was thinking that maybe I should put a fuel cleaner like Seafoam or something similar in the fuel tank and run the engine for a while to hopefully loosen the float back up. What are your thoughts? If the engine is running it seems the fuel would be used and unable to leak to somewhere its not supposed to be and the cleaner could do its job.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I was also of course, going to put a new filter on and new oil in. The oil fill cap has been left off so hopefully the fuel has dried up. if this works then I would change the oil and filter again.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Sponsor

Changing the oil a second time after the mower starts is highly recommended. It sound like your float has stopped leaking and is moving up and down shutting off the fuel. I would at the very least drop the bowl and clean what you can. A new float valve is cheaper than oil filters and oil. I'm a fan of Sea Foam and using it will not worsen things but it may not be the cure you are looking for. If there's dirt in the carb Sea Foam wont cure that. The good news is it sounds like your back on track and will be mowing soon.

Brian O
Old 04-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Sponsor

Glad it worked out, Keep an I eye on it. Please check the oil prior to each use to be sure it doesn't act up.

Brian O