Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
I'm not saying the Supper Z is or isn't more productive and I'm not saying the 3100 is more productive.... But for what you do puppy the SuperZ is prob the best mower for you... But if you mowed commercial you would hate a long mower and a deck that clumps.... If I knew how to post pictures i would post pictures from today of the ferris cutting 6-8 weeds and grass and the stripes it left with NO clumping....
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey mate, shame you werent able to upload any pics, would be very interested to see the dispersion of clippings.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Hey mate, shame you werent able to upload any pics, would be very interested to see the dispersion of clippings.
You can't see any clippings at all... It's has a wide even fan that spreads out perfect...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
I'm not saying the Supper Z is or isn't more productive and I'm not saying the 3100 is more productive.... But for what you do puppy the SuperZ is prob the best mower for you... But if you mowed commercial you would hate a long mower and a deck that clumps.... If I knew how to post pictures i would post pictures from today of the ferris cutting 6-8 weeds and grass and the stripes it left with NO clumping....
Posted via Mobile Device
Choppin-
if you use a place like photobucket it is easy to load pics here, but if you have them on your PC, when you are writing a post, go up above the box where you type just to the right of the smiley face. Scroll over the paperclip and it will say attachments. Click on that and it will direct you to browse your PC. Go to the file where you have the pics and click on the ones you want to load. When done move the cursor to the far right side of the screen so that you can see where it says done or finished or upload- something like that. The pics will show up when you submit your post.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Choppin-
if you use a place like photobucket it is easy to load pics here, but if you have them on your PC, when you are writing a post, go up above the box where you type just to the right of the smiley face. Scroll over the paperclip and it will say attachments. Click on that and it will direct you to browse your PC. Go to the file where you have the pics and click on the ones you want to load. When done move the cursor to the far right side of the screen so that you can see where it says done or finished or upload- something like that. The pics will show up when you submit your post.
My PC is down right now... I'm having to get on here with my IPhone...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gee that sounds great. Have you seen first hand the windrowing/clumping from the VX4 hustler decks? Due to this im forced to buy a new machine. the iCD sounds like a good deck, i seem to annoy ppl when I ask whether they get any scalping with the suspension ferris, but this is a concern of mine & need to demo (as hard as that is here in aus) but from all accounts so far mostly ppl are very pleased with the cut. I do see the odd comments re: scalping with the ferris. Im just very weary of everything now due to issues I have had, dont want to end up with any more problems I could have avoided.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Gee that sounds great. Have you seen first hand the windrowing/clumping from the VX4 hustler decks? Due to this im forced to buy a new machine. the iCD sounds like a good deck, i seem to annoy ppl when I ask whether they get any scalping with the suspension ferris, but this is a concern of mine & need to demo (as hard as that is here in aus) but from all accounts so far mostly ppl are very pleased with the cut. I do see the odd comments re: scalping with the ferris. Im just very weary of everything now due to issues I have had, dont want to end up with any more problems I could have avoided.
green- can't you get a look at a Gravely over there? You would still get a soft ride, but no worries about scalping from the suspension dipping. I doubt you'll have any issues with the Ferris in reality though.

Maybe these will help-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA2emfqCAAo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1F_O8CMZWY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og2YHcM2jtE
Old 04-09-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can email the pictures...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you can go to my profile by clicking on my name, you should be able to send them to me via e-mail. If it works, I will post them for you.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=puppypaws;4735831]I'm glad to see you've had some experience with at least operating both machines, but you are still saying you have not compared them side by side with both mowers cutting the same grass, you will find there is a difference.

It appears to me you have the capability of getting your hands on a Super Z and running it side by side with a 3100, try this the first chance you get, then come back with a truthful statement as to which machine is more productive. Make sure you are comparing equal hp and deck size. If you will take a 72" 3100 and cut and area, then take the longer wheel base 72" Super Z and cut the same area, you may be totally shocked at how well the larger Super Z rides in comparison, and at it's faster speed.

The Ferris dealer that brought the 3100 to my farm had also operated a Hustler Super Z, yet when we finished our trial by cutting the same grass for a specified distance, he made the statement, "I had no idea the Hustler was that much faster."

I've operated a Hustler Super Z mower for many years at top speed, and have never seen any difference in cut quality, all grass is cut with none left standing. I've posted pictures at grass height on this site where the 72" VX4 had cut the grass at top speed with excellent results. That's about all I can ask of a mower, don't leave abundant clippings, no clumping, and no uncut grass left standing.

You yourself said you checked a 3100 at 13+ mph, but I can promise that was not while cutting grass, when you add deck drag and blade operation into the equation, a 13 mph top speed machine will be cutting in the 11 mph; or possibly a little faster range. The same as if you take the, what is supposedly a 16 mph Hyper Drive Super Z, you would be cutting in the 14 mph range. This means where speed can indeed be utilized the Super Z will cut 20% more grass per hr.

This is not to say you can cut at full speed in all cutting situations, but then again, this is where the grey matter God put between ones ears comes into play. There are definitely areas the 3100 (and again I will say I really like the 3100) will cut with the same productivity as the Super Z, this is areas where one must back off the top speed of the Super Z pulling it back into the 3100's speed range.

Believe me when I say; I love the Ferris 3100, but for my cutting situation, where in fact I am able to utilize the faster speed, this is why I've run Hustler Super Z mowers for so many years, I cannot cut nearly as much grass with a slower machine. This grass below was cut at full speed when I first bought the 72" Hyper Drive Super Z, and as you can see, there is nowhere another deck or slower mower could improve the cut.

Well I'm sorry that I didn't say that I haven't mowed with the two mowers at the same time side by side. I've had multiple days with the 3100z & 3 different configurations of the SuperZ at a golf course. I guess I could find a pic of them mowing side by side so you can sleep at night. Your out of your mind if you really think that a 3100Z only mows at 11MPH with the blades engaged under no load. You must of mowed with one that had the 30hp Cyclonic briggs or something. Both the 36 vangaurd or the 37DFI will mow at a full 13.5-14MPH in 4-6 inch grass. I'm glad that certain dealer told you after you tested the machines that "it was that much faster" But If we were mowing a piece of property that was smooth as your pic there. Then yea I could easily see your argument. The 3100 would be less productive than the Super in that situation, Not by 20%. Maybe 10%. But throw in some nasty property and grass taller than 3 inches. Then it would be a different ball game ^^^ Like I said earlier and just to clear things up... I've been there and see it first hand, with different variations of both machines, at the same time and the 3100Z has a clear advantage in the rough stuff. In ride quality, cut quality, and pure happiness after different operators have mowed with the 3100Z for 8+ hrs and went home with WAY less fatigue than a lrg. frame, 31hp, 72'' Super Z w/ Flex Forks & SS. We both agree that they are both great machines. Both have a great cut. The super Z is faster. Better hydro system etc etc. But I guess what I'm trying to say is that the 3100z has a clear nudge in the rough conditions where that suspension absorbs everything the super z cant and still maintain a clean consistent cut at the full rate of speed. I mean if there was 3-4 guys on here saying that I was completely wrong and the super was able to match the 3100s productivity in rough conditions, then I would leave it as it were. But its not the case here.... With that being said. The super has a better cut quality that several other fixed frame machines on the market in rough conditions. Its just tough to match the ferris in extreme demanding mowing conditions....Like I said in my earlier post. I get all my customers to demo the different brands (mostly Kubota, Dixie Chopper, Gravely, Hustler, and Scag) at the same time so they can make their decision which machine is more productive for them and what they like better. and my mower get purchased 85% of the time.

*deep breath*

Choppin... since spring is finally getting here, I'll take both my demos out and re evaluate the vanguard and the kawi- I gotta mow my parent's 20 acres this weekend. I also have a new IS2000 29EFI kohler I get to try! I doubt that it gets the 1.3-1.5gph that Kohler says it will get
Old 04-10-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here are Choppin's pics-
Attached Images