Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2013, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

PTO Clutch Removal - STUBBORN - tips?

2004 Cub Cadet M54 Tank. Going to pull the Kaw 23 engine for a rebuild, but I can't seem to get the clutch off.

Pulled the bolt out. No problem
The clutch will not budge. Sprayed WD40 & let it sit. Pryed on it with a crowbar (using a block against the chassis for leverage) and could not physically put any more pressure on it. Will not budge.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 04-07-2013, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dave,

Drain the oil from the engine first, You should be able to remove the engine from the frame with the clutch still on. Once you get the engine off flip it upside down and spray the heck out of the end of the crank/clutch and let sit overnight, Get a longer grade 8 bolt to screw into the crank until it bottoms out. Have a helper pick the engine up by the clutch holding it slightly off the floor and whack the bolt with a big hammer and see if it won't move.

I've done this many times by myself lifting on the clutch with my forklift and using a air hammer......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Dave,

Drain the oil from the engine first, You should be able to remove the engine from the frame with the clutch still on. Once you get the engine off flip it upside down and spray the heck out of the end of the crank/clutch and let sit overnight, Get a longer grade 8 bolt to screw into the crank until it bottoms out. Have a helper pick the engine up by the clutch holding it slightly off the floor and whack the bolt with a big hammer and see if it won't move.

I've done this many times by myself lifting on the clutch with my forklift and using a air hammer......
Thanks Rob,
The hole in the chassis sure looks too small for the clutch, but then again, they'd be nuts if they weren't installing the clutch on the bare engine (rather than working with the engine in the frame)

Got it soaking in PB Blaster right now. I'll give it another whack (literally) tonight.

Dave
Old 04-08-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try using an air hammer on the crank while usin a little leverage (light to medium). Don't beat up crank itself, use a bolt threaded in. Only way I could get one off my Hustler.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have used a three prong puller in a couple cases and didn't tear up or breaak the pulley. As you tighten the screw keep wacking the puller bolt with a big hammer.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I have used a three prong puller in a couple cases and didn't tear up or breaak the pulley. As you tighten the screw keep wacking the puller bolt with a big hammer.
Oddly, using a puller, I destroyed the clutch. So be careful.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Oddly, using a puller, I destroyed the clutch. So be careful.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kinda funny I just took one off a snapper wb and it dropped right down after I took the bolt out. I put anti-seize on them when I put them back on.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yah thread a longer bolt in with washer. Put a 1/2" socket that fits the bolt on the bolt. Then insert round air hammer bit into socket and start hammering on the bolt.

We have lifts so the machines are in the air when we do this. Generally the weight of the clutch is enough to start it moving down the shaft.

Some machines are made with a large enough hole that you can drop it in while others are not. I am not sure on the Cub Cadets/Lesco. We were a service center for Lesco for a while before Deere bought them. I cant remember if the hole is big enough or not but I do remember one that I did that I could not get the pulley above the clutch off no matter what I did....so the clutch might only be the start of your troubles That one ended up getting a new pulley there.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Dave,

I just read this kinda funny....take ictures next time
Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Funny .

What's funny is...... I've never damaged a clutch during removal.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!