Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How To Get These little SOBs

They ate up about 20% of my st augustine in spite of the fact I used Scotts Grubex and Aloft. I could NEVER find any significant grubs at any time although the yard kept going into decline. So I ripped up a section got some aloft and put the zoysia sod down in Sept. Now for some reason the zoysiz didn't take so I lifted a piece to see if there was any roots and found 5 of these little guys playing dead. I took em and put em under the hot light and away they went.

Name:  038.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  29.9 KB

Name:  040.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  44.6 KB

HOw do I get em good
Old 04-11-2013, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Your South of me so timing maybe a bit different. Do not do anything right, now because as you can see, the grubs are already turning into adults. In a few weeks, depending on weather, when you start noticing big numbers of beetles around porch lites wait four weeks and then apply Merit.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Your South of me so timing maybe a bit different. Do not do anything right, now because as you can see, the grubs are already turning into adults. In a few weeks, depending on weather, when you start noticing big numbers of beetles around porch lites wait four weeks and then apply Merit.
So I wait until they get bigger then try to kill them? In the meantime what are they eating....
Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are they Japanese beetles? If so, they will fly away soon and eat trees and bushes. They do not eat grass-- their grubs eat grass roots, though.
Turf Dawg is right.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have these here too. Are they shiny black with no other colors? Are the grubs a little smaller than other grubs? It might be Black Turfgrass Ataenius. They do a number on zoysia and bermuda as well. First noticed them back in the 1990's. My weapons of choice are no longer legal on lawns. Now I make do with a high volume application of permethrin. It is worth it to kill the adults because they are overwintered adults that are going to lay eggs for the next generation of grubs. Unlike Japanese Beetles, these do not feed on plants. They only come out to lay eggs that turn into grubs. Lawns that have this need to be on imidacloprid applied in spring. I do not have seasons so the two are tank mixed and drenched when I see the adult beetles flying around at night.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-12-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I have these here too. Are they shiny black with no other colors? Are the grubs a little smaller than other grubs? It might be Black Turfgrass Ataenius. They do a number on zoysia and bermuda as well. First noticed them back in the 1990's. My weapons of choice are no longer legal on lawns. Now I make do with a high volume application of permethrin. It is worth it to kill the adults because they are overwintered adults that are going to lay eggs for the next generation of grubs. Unlike Japanese Beetles, these do not feed on plants. They only come out to lay eggs that turn into grubs. Lawns that have this need to be on imidacloprid applied in spring. I do not have seasons so the two are tank mixed and drenched when I see the adult beetles flying around at night.
No other colors and the grubs are very white when I can find them. I put Scotts GrubEX down in June then when I stripped the area to put down sod I put i the Aloft

http://www.winfield.com/stellent/gro...p2-0169085.pdf

I am not liscensed so any other advice
Old 04-13-2013, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

In Texas, especially South as you, these pretty much have a one year life cycle as grubs. What you are seeing now is the adult form of the grub that did the damage to your lawn. Just like weeds, the younger they are the easier it is to kill them. If you treat in Sept/Oct when you see damage they are much harder to kill and the insecticides are much less effective. After the adult beetles start flying around for a couple of weeks they will start to mate and the females are going to go back into the turf and lay their eggs. This is when they are easiest to kill. I know it might not seem very scientific but a porch light is a very good indicator to when most have taken flight and can be used for timing of egg laying. When you start to see a couple around lights you know they are on there way. When you see numerous amounts around lights they will be mating in a couple of weeks so that is when you need to treat with the Merit. Merit, unlike some of the other insecticides, hangs around for awhile in the soil so as they are laying eggs at different times it is still around to work. This may not get every single grub you have but should keep their numbers low enough that they do not cause any damage.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I go by the porch light thing too. That is when I apply the permethrin + imidacloprid drench. We never had grubs in Hawaii when lawn care practices included as needed applications of diazinon.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738