Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Back to the topic of resi and commercial. Let me give you something to think about. Every company in different areas have their preference and their nitch markets. Some people love commercial and some hate it. From my experience and market area, comm is not all that. You see, what can happen when you have a handful of big comm verse tons of small resi is, if and when you lose 1 or 2 comm you could easily go under because you had all your income tied up in 5 or 6 properties. Whereas if you had let's say 50 resi, you would have to lose 25 for it to really hit you pocket. The odds are you wouldn't lose 25 properties unless you just really suck and if that's the case, you shouldn't be in the landscape industry anyways. It's very easy to lose 5-6 out of your 10 comm accounts in one season because commercial is very cut throat and there isn't in loyalty. They typically are looking for the lowest price and alot of times are slow to pay. Now I have to repeat, this is from my experience in my area. Where I work, we are after high end residential. So knowing now, what I wished I would of known then, I would have went with a navigator or walker from the get go. But that is because all we do is high end residential. But to start out, you can't go wrong with a 36" and a 21" in wb or stander, it doesn't matter to me. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lareed88 View Post
Exmarking..Just got off the phone not to long ago to do general maintanence on 30+ forclosed homes weekly during mowing season and bi weekly during winter months. Deal isnt set in stone but more than likely ill get it.
Posted via Mobile Device
You should be careful with those foreclosed home companies. Check them out before you do biz with them. Foreclosed homes have no money coming in to the banks so therefore they don't like to pay someone to upkeep them either. Try to get paid up front but I doubt they will.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yelp, I agree. Lots of scams. Plus there isn't any longevity or additional services to upscale them on, and they will trash your mower considering there's who know what hiding under two feet of grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry if i got confusing last night i was falling asleep as i was replying. what i meant or should i say what im not aware of is the 1.7mph extra and the hydros worth the extra money for the 36'' stand ons. plus they are about 325 lbs heavier than the walk behinds. is this never an issue?

Last edited by lareed88; 04-11-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
You should be careful with those foreclosed home companies. Check them out before you do biz with them. Foreclosed homes have no money coming in to the banks so therefore they don't like to pay someone to upkeep them either. Try to get paid up front but I doubt they will.
the job is through a friend who has worked with them before. i havent got all the details but thank you for the warning ill see if they will pay upfront.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Back to the topic of resi and commercial. Let me give you something to think about. Every company in different areas have their preference and their nitch markets. Some people love commercial and some hate it. From my experience and market area, comm is not all that. You see, what can happen when you have a handful of big comm verse tons of small resi is, if and when you lose 1 or 2 comm you could easily go under because you had all your income tied up in 5 or 6 properties. Whereas if you had let's say 50 resi, you would have to lose 25 for it to really hit you pocket. The odds are you wouldn't lose 25 properties unless you just really suck and if that's the case, you shouldn't be in the landscape industry anyways. It's very easy to lose 5-6 out of your 10 comm accounts in one season because commercial is very cut throat and there isn't in loyalty. They typically are looking for the lowest price and alot of times are slow to pay. Now I have to repeat, this is from my experience in my area. Where I work, we are after high end residential. So knowing now, what I wished I would of known then, I would have went with a navigator or walker from the get go. But that is because all we do is high end residential. But to start out, you can't go wrong with a 36" and a 21" in wb or stander, it doesn't matter to me. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you for your input it is very valuable and very appreciated. sounds like i should go with the 36'' either wb or stand on from the input of all you experienced guys.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
I agree with this. Check out the company you'll be working for. Do a google search on them and ripoffreport.com as well. If you can get them to pay upfront that's great. Haven't ran into any that will do that yet. I bill out 2 times a month (15th and last day of he month) for that month and always get paid within 7 days of invoice.

Last edited by Greg78; 04-11-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Yelp, I agree. Lots of scams. Plus there isn't any longevity or additional services to upscale them on, and they will trash your mower considering there's who know what hiding under two feet of grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't agree with this. I've been doing bank owned properties since 2008. I have a handful of properties that I've been doing for more than 4 years. I also get almost all my shrub bids approved a couple of times a year. The initial grass cuts pay very well and if you don't know how to cut tall grass and police the area then yeah you can trash you mower. I've been using my same Exmark Lazer on these properties for years without any extra maintenance, I recall bending one blade in all that time but that was my fault and it should have been avoided. You have to be smart with your machines.

Bank owned properties can be very good if you get in with the right company and know what you are doing. I completed over 100 of them in the last 2 weeks. I have a better profit margin on bank owned than I do my regular customers.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Don't agree with this. I've been doing bank owned properties since 2008. I have a handful of properties that I've been doing for more than 4 years. I also get almost all my shrub bids approved a couple of times a year. The initial grass cuts pay very well and if you don't know how to cut tall grass and police the area then yeah you can trash you mower. I've been using my same Exmark Lazer on these properties for years without any extra maintenance, I recall bending one blade in all that time but that was my fault and it should have been avoided. You have to be smart with your machines.

Bank owned properties can be very good if you get in with the right company and know what you are doing. I completed over 100 of them in the last 2 weeks. I have a better profit margin on bank owned than I do my regular customers.
The job is $19 per lot for general maintenance and there are 30+ . I know its not a lot but im just starting out and im doing it more to just get my name out there. They are supposed to email me all the details before I go through with the deal but ill deff. Do a little extra research before I close the deal
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lareed88 View Post
The job is $19 per lot for general maintenance and there are 30+ . I know its not a lot but im just starting out and im doing it more to just get my name out there. They are supposed to email me all the details before I go through with the deal but ill deff. Do a little extra research before I close the deal
Posted via Mobile Device
Get another post so you'll have 10 and I'll private message you more information. I know a guy in Texas that got me started in bank owned work when he was in Florida, so I might be able to help you out some.

Tags
32'' or 36'' , just starting , mower set up , new business