Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2013, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Clipper Magazine?

So we are just starting out this season. So far for advertising we have put out only about 500-600 flyers in our local area as well as an ad in a local direct mail paper that went to 86,000 homes. That direct mail ad cost me $130 which isn't too bad but we didn't get ONE CALL from that! We've gotten 3 mowing estimate calls from the flyers we handed out as well as 1 mulch estimate call from the flyers. So now I am contemplating placing another ad in a direct mail magazine that goes to 90,000 homes. The difference between the Merchandiser we did with no success and the Clipper is this magazine goes directly into the mail box instead of the paper slot and this magazine is full of coupons whereas the other isn't usually. I do believe more people would check out the Clipper as I do and I do not look at the Merchandiser usually. Catch is the Clipper is $550 for a 1/4 page ad and $700 for a 1/3 page ad. This is incredibly expensive to us as we are just starting, don't have any business yet (catch 22), and have a lot of overhead due to the Cub Cadet 54" ZTR & trailer we purchased. What would you do? Anyone ever publish in the Clipper? Success or not? Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Clipper Magazine?

Buy 10,000 door hangers instead. For every 1000 flyers you put out the average callback is 5 customers. Just like you showed with your 6-7 hundred you put out. You should get 50 customers give or take with this. When you put a door hanger on. They read it every time when they take it off no matter what.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks JayBrown. My husband says the same thing that when you do flyers they always at least look at it.