Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
I won't even take an account anymore that requires the use of a 21, let alone toting one up stairs or driving something up a ramp.

Seriously, though, if this property is as small as I'm guessing, and I thought I had to take the account, if I didn't already own one, I'd go to Wally World or Lowe's, and buy a cheap, light, 21 inch mower and carry it up the steps. Charge accordingly. If she doesn't want to pay it, move on.
why? if you are still making the same per hour over the duration of the mow what does it matter what mower you use?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I won't even take an account anymore that requires the use of a 21, let alone toting one up stairs or driving something up a ramp.

Seriously, though, if this property is as small as I'm guessing, and I thought I had to take the account, if I didn't already own one, I'd go to Wally World or Lowe's, and buy a cheap, light, 21 inch mower and carry it up the steps. Charge accordingly. If she doesn't want to pay it, move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
why? if you are still making the same per hour over the duration of the mow what does it matter what mower you use?
Why what? He'd do the job as long as the customer agrees to pay the price.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you didnt read his whole post. he said he wont take a job that uses a 21 inch
Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Quote:
you didnt read his whole post. he said he wont take a job that uses a 21 inch
I did but after that, he claims that IF he would take it, he'd charge accordingly.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Why, you ask? Because I'm 62 and don't need to mow every lawn in the county. I'm not knocking anyone who mows with a 21, and realize that in many parts of the country, especially in urban areas, that is the norm. Around here, turning down properties you can't get a 60 incher into means you might turn down one job a year, if that.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I dont need to use a 21 either. I wouldnt buy a mower for 1 job either. If I was in the OP situation, and if he has a 21" mower. Carry it up steps or over a wall or what not. Dont go through other yards, ramps, none of that crap that could create serious problems. Still charge her your rate. Just because you could mow it in 10 minutes if you could get a 48 in there doesnt mean the yard is worth the same regardless. Its a special yard and gets the special price

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i had a situation today where the people had a small $40 per cut yard but they wanted the grass bagged because their dogs track in the grass and she has to vacuum it up alot.

i'm not gonna go buy a $3000 bagger for one yard but i do have a 21" mower with a bag if needed. i said i would pushmow and bag it for $50 a cut. i didn't get the job though i don't guess. i'm not gonna pushmow a yard for $40 when it takes twice as long as it would using my ztr.

that's what i run into sometimes. people want the extra work, extra service, special treatment, etc. without paying the extra price.

i don't pushmow any yards except for small areas that take less than 5-10min. i was willing to take this one on which would take around 1hr instead of the normal 30-40min but i am gonna charge for it since it would take twice as long as normal. most times people just aren't willing to pay the extra cost so i walk and they can hire someone else i guess.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the lowballer will get it.

where do they live?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't see the downfalls of accessing a yard through a neighbors yard... it's probably not an ideal situation but I don't see how it could be that bad. I would go through the neighbors yard and not think twice about it, as long as the access is easy and obviously it's ok with the neighbors. As for the ramps I don's see the problem with this either as long as it's a walk behind going up them. I would get three thick wood planks with a piece of ramp metal lip on the end of two of them. I would run the mower up those two and walk up the middle one. I would also try to store them somewhere on her property. I have a small wall to go on top (about 1.5 feet) and I put the ramps behind the bushes of a commercial building, you never see them. JMO though, good luck.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

cause if you get ruts in neighbors yard neighbor will sue you. even if given permission and a garaonteed win still costs money getting sued.