Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-08-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hydretain

Has anyone used Hydretain? A buddy of mine, Turf Tech, applies it and I suggested it to several of my accounts. I have visited their website, but haven't seen any real-world studies or customer reviews. Have any of the universities done any testing on it? It'd be a money-maker for him and me down here in drought-stricken west Texas if it does work. Any thoughts or experiences with it?
18x8 flat bed w/custom removable gates and racks
2006 Great Dane Surfer 19/52
2002 eXmark Viking 36 hydro
2008 Hustler FasTrak Mini 17/36
eXmark Metro 26
2011 Honda HRC216HXA
Shindaiwa T242
Echo SRM-230
RedMax BCZ2450T
Shindaiwa Multi-tool
Shindaiwa EB802RT
Echo PB-755ST
Echo PB-210LE
Stihl HS45 Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-400
Ryan LA28 Aerator FOR SALE

AMSoil Dealer
Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm wondering the same thing.
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 04-11-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I saw their ad,,, and believe that ,,, IF there was a way to utilize moisture from the air,,, AND actually transfers it to the circulatory system of the plant,,, it would already be done naturally...
The stomata of the leaves regulate the absorbtion or evaporation in relation to the atmosphere already... I can't imagine or visualize a system that pulls enough water from 75% humidity,,, into droughted soils and send it through the xylems and phloems and still nourish the plant...
Maintaining turgor in the system of plants is a lot more involved that sucking droops of moisture from the atmosphere...
If it is possible,,, there are a great number of systemic issue to address and in order for it to be reality,,, ALL those systems must be addressed... even the ones we don't know about yet...

BTW,,, do we know exactly the procedure of getting water into the top of a tree over 33 feet tall yet??? Lots of theories,,, but still... Are we sure what's really involved???
Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Apparently it transfers the moisture to the soil--used in Austrailia is what they claim

here is a link which shows various different studies by universities--

http://www.greentechcoatings.com/hydretain-links.htm

here is a link to one of the studies-

http://www.greentechcoatings.com/lit...oinsettias.pdf

Here is wht they claim--
"After 9 years of commercial use by golf courses, nurseries, sod farms and top landscapers, Hydretain is now available to homeowners.

Hydretain is a revolutionary new natural chemistry that allows homeowners to water up to 50% less and maintain healthy, great looking plants and turf.

Hydretain is patented blend of liquid humectant and hygroscopic compounds that attract and hold moisture like tiny water magnets within soil. Hydretain manages available soil moisture, extending watering intervals of indoor and outdoor plants, flowers, vegetables, shrubs, trees and grasses by as much as 2 to 3 times. Each application reduces watering for up to 3 months
"
Old 04-11-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
Apparently it transfers the moisture to the soil--used in Austrailia is what they claim

here is a link which shows various different studies by universities--

http://www.greentechcoatings.com/hydretain-links.htm

here is a link to one of the studies-

http://www.greentechcoatings.com/lit...oinsettias.pdf

Here is wht they claim--
"After 9 years of commercial use by golf courses, nurseries, sod farms and top landscapers, Hydretain is now available to homeowners.

Hydretain is a revolutionary new natural chemistry that allows homeowners to water up to 50% less and maintain healthy, great looking plants and turf.

Hydretain is patented blend of liquid humectant and hygroscopic compounds that attract and hold moisture like tiny water magnets within soil. Hydretain manages available soil moisture, extending watering intervals of indoor and outdoor plants, flowers, vegetables, shrubs, trees and grasses by as much as 2 to 3 times. Each application reduces watering for up to 3 months
"
You put up a lot of reading material, so if I start commenting on the things I do read and there is some point I need to grab a hold of, in another article,,, plz let me know...
I'll be looking over the 'shorter' PDF Research Material First.... Interestting concept, but still skeptical...
Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually,,, all I've found so far are testimonials... these testimonials could easily be talking about the water holding polymers... what's the difference...
I call them 'Super-Spunge Polymers' just for descriptive purposes...
Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm skeptical also...
The problem with the polymers is they hold onto the water and don't easily release it to the plant...
Old 04-12-2013, 05:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Weekend,,,
I'd never heard that that was an issue... I've never used the super-sponge stuff,,, but I didn't realize that it didn't work...
I wish they'd give an explanation how hydretain is supposed to function... testimonials about how well it works, and that it takes moisture out of the air,,, by some UNREVEALED process,,, doesn't cut it for me...