Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like I'm going full time

I am (was) a middle school shop teacher that does lawn care and construction on the side and all summer. Got laid off again today for the second time in 4 years. Guess there's not much else to do now but get serious about mowing and plowing snow.

Any advice from anyone that left a full time job to go full time on their own would be appreciated.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Good luck! Actually I just started out and that is my plan to go full time lawn care and get out of my current job. But unfortunately its not picking up like I had planned I live in a smaller town and its hard to get bids and jobs because of all the part time guys that mow for beer money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

getting the work is def tough. I really struggled my first year. I had enough weekly's to at least break even on all my equipment I bought and I kept busy two days a week. But I thought I'd do better. Luckily, this year, all my clients re-signed and I got a few more new ones. Plus I got a compact tractor with some implements, a backpack blower, a walk behind blower and a brand new Scag Z. I was really stressing this time last week because nobody had been calling, but we got a warm spell here and my phone went nuts last weekend. I landed a bunch of power washing gigs, about 45 yds of mulch already and a few clean ups. One of my weekly clients wants some brush cleaned up and chipped, the area graded out and wants me to plow up a garden plot for his wife. Had another guy call about bush hogging an area of his property too. So I'm hoping this year really picks up for me. It's gonna have to actually. This morning mowing was a hobby/side business that I just enjoyed doing, as of tonight, it's my full time job to support my wife and I. I refuse to do the unemployment route, I'll go sweep the streets if I have to. Wish me luck!!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

run ads in your local paper, send out flyers, you will get work, it will happen, i'm going on my 3rd year full time, and i would say compared to where i started, I'm doing pretty well, and so far this year i have a lot more work, but i have also increased my advertising.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Word of mouth. Ask your current customers to recomend you to friends and relatives. When you do a cut always check with the neighbors to see if there is anything you can do for them while you are there. Get some sort of signage on your truck this is very important your truck is your number one source of advertiseing it is a rolling billboard. If you do a good job the work will come. I have never advertised other than my truck and a few yard signs and i have more work than I can handle. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The best advertising of all is to do quality work and have exemplary customer service.

Get some signage on your vehicle if it isn't already there.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I like your father and daughter lawn care name.my little girl loves getting out in the yard piddling with me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks I started doing a few yards with her so she could make some money. Now it's 50+ customers and full time.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Awesome my daughter is just about to turn 6 so hopefully mine turns into full time by the time she's ready to ride. But I live in a small town and people are tighttt hard to get full time business
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How small?