Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 AM
minilawn minilawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 64
I've heard that you need a big truck so you can drive fast... I don't drive fast, so that doesn't bother me.

As for stopping, in 3 years I've had my fair share of idiots pull out in front of me. This truck stops my ZTR and Walkbehind with various hand-helds on a dime... no pun intended.

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-12-2013, 12:19 PM
LindblomRJ's Avatar
LindblomRJ LindblomRJ is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by minilawn View Post
I've heard that you need a big truck so you can drive fast... I don't drive fast, so that doesn't bother me.

As for stopping, in 3 years I've had my fair share of idiots pull out in front of me. This truck stops my ZTR and Walkbehind with various hand-helds on a dime... no pun intended.

Personally, I like the extra safety margain with a set of trailer brakes. I've done it without brakes, I don't care to make it a habit.
__________________
Ryan
Spring Creek Lawn & Landscape

Veritas and æquitas
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-13-2013, 05:22 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenUtah View Post
If you had a mechanic do that, the price would have doubled (at least), so you didn't account for your labor in that equation. Once you do, you're finding that you're putting about half or more of what you bought the truck for into maintenance. That's expensive to own as a percentage.
If he was putting that kind of money into it every year, then yes, that would be expensive. But what he did was a 100,000 mile freshen up. That work won't have to be done again for another 100,000 miles if the truck lasts that long.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC


Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 PM
minilawn minilawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
If he was putting that kind of money into it every year, then yes, that would be expensive. But what he did was a 100,000 mile freshen up. That work won't have to be done again for another 100,000 miles if the truck lasts that long.
Exactly, I think all vehicles require maintenance at their half-life.

I also want to stress the fact that this was preventative, keep it on the up and up, over prepared maintenance

Thats how I do things
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-13-2013, 01:04 PM
GreenUtah's Avatar
GreenUtah GreenUtah is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
If he was putting that kind of money into it every year, then yes, that would be expensive. But what he did was a 100,000 mile freshen up. That work won't have to be done again for another 100,000 miles if the truck lasts that long.
The key here is THAT work. But since those are not the only aging parts on the vehicle, it's silly to think that will be the end of major repairs. A bad water pump that warps heads when it overheats, a loss of compression on the motor, suspension problems, a rear end diff failing, even the gears in that manual stripping out will all be eventualities.

Even if you keep front end costs lower by doing the labor yourself, you still have to account for the true costs. Unless your time is worth nothing. A day working on the vehicle is a production day lost.

That's the measure.

and yes, most are using trucks that are complete and total overkill for the job and are being inefficient in the other direction, but you can be equally so (inefficient) by making choices going in the opposite direction.

When I would see jacked up, fully loaded trucks being used for lawn crews, I'd make it a point to follow them to their next job and leave my card. I know automatically higher cost clowns when I see them and that's like a flashing light with circus music playing..
__________________
http://www.mygreenutah.com
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Blade Runners's Avatar
Blade Runners Blade Runners is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Woodlawn, TN
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by minilawn View Post
I've heard that you need a big truck so you can drive fast... I don't drive fast, so that doesn't bother me.

As for stopping, in 3 years I've had my fair share of idiots pull out in front of me. This truck stops my ZTR and Walkbehind with various hand-helds on a dime... no pun intended.

Something else to keep in mind when you run no trailer brakes is the trailer jack-knifing when you hit the brakes hard and the truck and trailer getting out of alignment.

I was at Ft. Bragg when 3 soldiers were killed for this very reason. The truck slammed on the brakes skidded a little, got out of alignment and the trailer swung around next to the truck and turned it over in a ditch. Someone had forgotten to hook up the trailer brake air lines.

Just because you have a truck with brakes good enough to stop it and the trailer doesn't necessarily make it safe.
__________________

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-13-2013, 11:47 PM
minilawn minilawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
Something else to keep in mind when you run no trailer brakes is the trailer jack-knifing when you hit the brakes hard and the truck and trailer getting out of alignment.

I was at Ft. Bragg when 3 soldiers were killed for this very reason. The truck slammed on the brakes skidded a little, got out of alignment and the trailer swung around next to the truck and turned it over in a ditch. Someone had forgotten to hook up the trailer brake air lines.

Just because you have a truck with brakes good enough to stop it and the trailer doesn't necessarily make it safe.
That's a good point. I'll look into adding trailer brakes. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-14-2013, 04:57 PM
LindblomRJ's Avatar
LindblomRJ LindblomRJ is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,577
Brakes are an easy add on. You can get a bolt on kit. If the axle has the flange to bolt on it includes brakes and hub with brake drum. Finish it off by pulling a wire to each side. Go with a 6 or 7 pin plug and a brake controller in the cab.
__________________
Ryan
Spring Creek Lawn & Landscape

Veritas and æquitas
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-14-2013, 10:19 PM
minilawn minilawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 64
Those brake kits are pretty neat, just need to figure out which setup is best for mine.

Now I'm thinking more about that Exmark Commercial 30
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:05 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindblomRJ View Post
Brakes are an easy add on. You can get a bolt on kit. If the axle has the flange to bolt on it includes brakes and hub with brake drum. Finish it off by pulling a wire to each side. Go with a 6 or 7 pin plug and a brake controller in the cab.
I don't mean to step on your toes but is it still easy if the axle doesn't have the brake flange? Or if the truck is not prewired for trailer brakes? What happens then? About how much would all of this cost if it's not brake ready and you have to pay someone to do this work? You know, if I had to buy a new axle and all and then pay someone to install the axle, brakes, 7 pin plug, wiring and brake controller?
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC


Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 PM.

Page generated in 0.07599 seconds with 10 queries