Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cameras

Hello,

Wanted some recomendations on a good camera for landscape lighting photos. To be honest I dont want to have to photoshop or any editing like that. Just take nice, presentable photos...hopefully better than I can do on my phone. Would like to spend under $500 and not be the most complicated one to use.

Thanks
Ray
Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have used a Nikon D40x for years. It is definitely an entry level DSLR, but with the right settings and a good tripod, it can produce some acceptable images. The key is the lenses.

I am upgrading to a D7000 or D600 this spring. I can't decide between FX and DX framing. I am leaning more towards the D7000 for it's full HD video and mirror lock up function for still photography. I'm looking at a nice piece of glass for it, but I'll have to drop another 1,000 on top of the 1,000 for the camera (which in consideration of some of the other equipment out there is still on the low to medium end)

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 04-12-2013, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would highly recommend you either look to raise your budget by a few hundred dollars or look on the used market. Getting an entry level DSLR camera is fine, but you want to put a very good lens on it. Good glass is not cheap. I would look to a Canon Rebel but get a nice, fast, lens on it

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Digital.html

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...f_4_5_6_is_usm

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 04-12-2013, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
I would highly recommend you either look to raise your budget by a few hundred dollars or look on the used market. Getting an entry level DSLR camera is fine, but you want to put a very good lens on it. Good glass is not cheap. I would look to a Canon Rebel but get a nice, fast, lens on it

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Digital.html

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...f_4_5_6_is_usm
I use a Canon Rebel and really like it. Not too expensive and works great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2013, 01:58 AM
Sponsor

Hi Ray,
Best camera in your price bracket in my estimation is the Nikon D5100. For landscape lighting photography, an important aspect is the dynamic range of the camera. I agree with James, and Tim, a good piece of glass can set you back a bit...but even a good piece of glass on a camera that doesn't have a good dynamic range will not give you good results. Check out this website for comparisons on camera sensors;
http://www.dxomark.com/
Look for high low light/ISO ratings, and good dynamic range. This should help point you in the right direction.
Nikon has lot's of good lenses that you can upgrade into, if you start with a good sensor for your application.
If you are looking to for something more compact, the Sony NEX mirrorless cameras have the best DR in the compact line up. You could get into a NEX 5R for about $600. Again, lots of good lenses to upgrade into.
Hope this helps!

John

Providing you with the best outdoor LED lamps
designed for the Landscape Lighting Industry.

http://www.illumicaregroup.com/
Old 04-12-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Would this be acceptable to get started?
Old 04-12-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A good place to start and at a good price too. You wont go wrong learning on that. Be sure to get a good solid tripod and a shutter release for it too. You will be taking timed exposures. Personally I am a Canon fan, as they have such an awesome collection of lenses that nobody else comes close to... but that Nikon will do you just fine.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 04-13-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite4 View Post
I have used a Nikon D40x for years. It is definitely an entry level DSLR, but with the right settings and a good tripod, it can produce some acceptable images. The key is the lenses.

I am upgrading to a D7000 or D600 this spring. I can't decide between FX and DX framing. I am leaning more towards the D7000 for it's full HD video and mirror lock up function for still photography. I'm looking at a nice piece of glass for it, but I'll have to drop another 1,000 on top of the 1,000 for the camera (which in consideration of some of the other equipment out there is still on the low to medium end)
The D7100 was just released a week or so ago. It's 24mp and from the initial reviews it's a pretty capable camera and a great upgrade from the D7000. On the other hand, the D600 is a very nice camera. I own a D600 (among about a half dozen other Nikon and Canon bodies) and I really like it. It takes really nice pictures and it basically has the same functionality as the D7100 except it is full frame. If you do go with the D7100 or the D7000 I'd seriously look at the Nikkor 17-55 F2.8 lens. It's one of the sharpest DX lenses that I have ever shot and the only lens that I shoot on my D7000 anymore... and at F2.8 it's plenty fast too if you want to shoot at night or in low light.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman7 View Post
Would this be acceptable to get started?
Kick down the extra $300 and get the D5200 with the 18-55mm kit lens..... The D5100 was never a really great camera.