Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-13-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Little octane lesson here. The need for high octane is due to high compression. At the higher compression and the heat associated with it can cause pre-ignition (little bits of carbon on the piston or combustion chamber get glowing hot and light the fire instead of the spark plug) A condition where the fuel ignite early in the combustion stroke. You see, the lower the octane, the easier it ignites. A higher octane rating is slightly more difficult to ignite. You want to use the lowest octane recommended. If it says 87, 93 will not help at all. Actually makes it harder to ignite. Additional octane beyond what is specified is actually counter productive. It's not going to cause problems (unless we get extreme). But it's simply wasted money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

All the major brands specifically recommend using a minimum of 89 or higher octane in their equipment these days.

This is lifted right from the manual for the Stihl BR600M-

"Use mid-grade unleaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 89 (R+M2) and no more than 10 percent alcohol content.

Fuel with a lower octane rating may increase engine operating temperatures. This in turn, increases the risk of piston seizure and damage to the engine."

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 04-13-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I'll tell ya's...I will be runnin whatever octane it calls for. Engineers knows best! My buddies dad has the 90KM and says the tiller attachment works awesome! It actually pulls him, and he's about 200lbs. Says it has tons of power, so I'm thinkin the 110KM will have plently....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by THIESSENS TLC View Post
Well, I'll tell ya's...I will be runnin whatever octane it calls for. Engineers knows best! My buddies dad has the 90KM and says the tiller attachment works awesome! It actually pulls him, and he's about 200lbs. Says it has tons of power, so I'm thinkin the 110KM will have plently....
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm sure it will. I was just throwing it out there in case you have, or think you might get into some ROW work, or heavy growth ditches.

BTW, all my Stihl manuals say the same thing as the BR600 manual, and so do my Husqvarna and Jonsered's.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

the 110 will have plenty of power. I use my kombi with an extended hedge trimmer, saw, and edger, and always have plenty of power

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 04-13-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I'm sure it will. I was just throwing it out there in case you have, or think you might get into some ROW work, or heavy growth ditches.

BTW, all my Stihl manuals say the same thing as the BR600 manual, and so do my Husqvarna and Jonsered's.
I honestly believe the 90KM will be plenty for what I use it for, but I think I might still get the 110KM just incase I get into some more heavier work. I don't think i'll need the 130KM...not yet anyways. lol
Old 04-14-2013, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought the 90 km with the pole saw attachment.. didn't need the weedeater attachment just yet... I have a 323 husq. The dealer told me after 9-10 tank fill ups on the km 90 it will rise in power significantly??? as of now i'm a little skeptical? using 93 octane and the stihl mix on the 90 and reg 87 and generic oil on the husq. if i'm neglecting the husq. its 7 years old and wanna hear some opinions from the pros out there..
Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, the 4-mix engines have a little longer break-in period.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 04-14-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

my dealer also said the km110 might be discontinued? and my 90 won't get alot of work til next year should i break it in as fast as possible?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
For about $50 more you can step up the the 130 and get a LOT more power for only 8 more ounces of weight. To be honest, my 90 runs all my attachments with ease including the power sweeper in heavy dirt and gravel (that is one of the best tools/attachmnets I have ever owned), though every once in a while I would wish I had the 130 to run the pole pruner, so I bought a new FS250R for those times since I got such a great deal on it. I know Stihl says it is supposed to be used with the attachmnets other than the tiller, but i am the only one who runs my equipment, and I can take care of, and make sure that, it doesn't get abused, so I feel safe using the attachments on the 250.
Will the other attachments fit the 250? My dealer told me that they wouldn't fit- have an older 250 so maybe that has something to do with it
Stihl FS110R- Edger/135* Bar Hedge trimmer
HS 81T
Stihl FS110R- string
Stihl 290 Farm Boss 20" bar
Poulan Pro 16" bar
Poulan Pro 18" Bar
Stihl HT101 Pole Saw
Stihl MM55
Stihl BG86
Stihl BR550
2004 Massey Ferguson GC2300- 2350 Loader w/ toothbar, 60" Kioti Aerator, 48" dethatcher, 60" back blade, 48" box blade, 3PTH pallet forks/carry all, 48" lawn roller