Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting out

hello everybody, im new to the site here. having a hard time deciding what equipment would be best to start out with. i already own a 3/4 ton single cab truck with a service body on it that has exactly a 48" wide bed inside, so hypothetically if i wanted to put a mower in the bed without a trailer it would have to be a 46 inch cut or less. I also own a 6x10 utility trailer, but its kinda hard to keep it stored at night at a convenient place until i can afford storage fees. i could keep it at my house but its really cramped here. Anyways my friend who is already in the lawn business suggested a 34 inch zero turn such as the encore or gravely for getting through narrow gates, gravely is way better built but also way more expensive. my thoughts have kinda been that if im paying 5500 dollars for a mower then it needs to be bigger than a 34, plus the fact that those little mowers dont do well on ditches and steep slopes worries me also. the gravely pro stance 34 looks like it may be a better option since it handles the slopes better, however it only comes in a fixed deck design, and its still only 34 inches wide. 34 inches wide might not be that bad though since i am just starting out. im kinda lost thinking about all this since theres so many options. anybody have any helpful advice?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Look around for a used ztr to keep start up costs low, don't want to start out with a bunch of debt. Lots of good deals out there, welcome and good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would say that you would be best with a 36" walkbehind. Can fit really anywhere and if you put a sulky on it you can cut some rather large properties.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree. 36" walk behind. <$2,500.
Save your money and upgrade as you go.
Example I need a 60". So I'm saving up for one to buy before 2014.
Stay away from instant gratification purchases.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree.. I walk begind is great for starting out..also loading a ztr into the back of a pickup at every account will get old really fast
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OP has a trailer.
I'd get a 36" walk behind and start saving quickly for either a 60" ZTR or WB.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

honestly id rather not have a belt driven walk behind again, i had a lawn service years ago and fought those belts constantly. i do not want to make the same mistake twice. i did see that ferris makes a 32 hydro walk i could check those out theres a dealer in town, im still thinkin that a 34 zero turn such as the gravely would be the best choice though that thing is tough and quite versatile.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have heard of from too many people complaing about WB's with belts slipping and no reverse.

I started with a 20" push and a 42" rider. I wish the 42" would be a 48". Also lucky that I do not have any steep hills or I wish I would have a 36 WB for those and to do the back yards with the small gates. Again lucky that I have had very few gates where my 42" would not fit through.

Would a 60" be a good size mower to have?

For me at this point I do not have the number of lawns or size lawns where having a 60" would be needed.

So I would say if where you are there are no to very little gates, and no steep grades I would get any type of 48" mower if you can afford one. Time is money. Then have a 20" SP for the tight spots.

Then if you will be running into a lot of gates and these gates are 36" you may be better off with a 34" WB.

The properties that you will be servicing is what is going to control what will be the best size mower for you to own.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a 36" scag wh belt, I'm just gonna man handle the **** outa it when finishing a stripe and turning in to start another. I have a ztr snapperpro but got this for the back yards n tight spots
Posted via Mobile Device