Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-13-2013, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

New Sod Question

Hello,

I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong part of the forum. Last October I did my first sod job. Everything came out beautiful. Late this March we did a Spring clean up on the same property. The sod I installed looked good, nice and green. I just noticed the other day that it started to look yellow, as you see in the pictures. Even some of the existing grass has patches like this, but I am getting concerned. I have spoke to a few of my friends and they said it would be fine and they gave me some reasons of why its happening. They said things like, it was dry for a month, or after the snow melted it probably went dormant, it was not winterized last Fall. But I just wanted to get some the expert opinions on this site and also what steps should I take to get it back to where it should be. Thank you.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

looks fine - it'll green up when it warms up some more.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 04-14-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Impossible to say, but I'd be worried -- what kind of grass was it? it may have winter damage. Snow mold is another possibility.To be honest, I'd overseed with the same varieties as the sod, just in case, if you can afford to.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry about it, mine looks the same and it was put down in august of last year. From the pictures it looks like a fescue...that's what mine is anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good quality sod greens up slowly. Give it a couple of weeks.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Good quality sod greens up slowly. Give it a couple of weeks.
But, he said it had already greened up, and now it's turning yellow. He says it was not winterized last fall, which I take to mean it was not fertilized then. So, this suggest another possibility, that it has exhausted the N from the sod farm and needs Spring fert, and possibly some P for those roots.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good question. Does grass actually stay green under the snow all winter up here in the north. And then turn brown in the spring after the snow melts?
I was planning on uncovering some grass each week all winter. I never got around to it. But for the first month or so it stayed green under the snow.
Keep in mind about sod--its slow--it will be dark green later on, a couple of weeks later.Some types of Kentucky bluegrass are slow, but some types green up quicker. Baseball fields have to use the early types. Perennial ryegrass will be faster.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 04-14-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: added
Old 04-15-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Good question. Does grass actually stay green under the snow all winter up here in the north. And then turn brown in the spring after the snow melts? ...
Yes it does... we are starting to see the tips of grass poking out the top of layers of ice and snow as it is melting and they are green... it happens that way every winter,,, HIGHLIGHTING the value of snow cover for grasses and virtually all forms of plantlife in the regions of the world that experience frozen turf and dessicating winds for one of their seaasons...

W/out snow cover plants lose water and suffer winter kill, their cell structures are burst from ice crystals inside the cell walls, etc., etc. and then it turns brown...

The sod will suffer first becuz it doesn't have the the established roots of the more mature grass next to it...

Therefore I agree with those that say: No Worries...