Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I don't mean to step on your toes but is it still easy if the axle doesn't have the brake flange? Or if the truck is not prewired for trailer brakes? What happens then? About how much would all of this cost if it's not brake ready and you have to pay someone to do this work? You know, if I had to buy a new axle and all and then pay someone to install the axle, brakes, 7 pin plug, wiring and brake controller?
I am not sure what a trailer shop or welding shop would charge. This is the type of work I am comfortable to do myself. The drum brakes assembly run from $30 up. So for both sides $60 up for the assembly. Then the hub and drum assembly start about $45 per wheel. I am getting the prices from trailer.com

A brake flange can be welded on. They run from $5 to $10.

For about $200 for parts. I would guess a trailer shop would charge about $150 or so for labor. Being I'd be in there I'd repack the wheel bearings and maybe look at the spring bushings.

The second option is to buy and able with whole brake assembly which runs about $450 from Northern Tool. I think that includes axle, brakes, and springs. Four bolts hold it on.

It is something I would do myself. I am in the process of building two trailers. It isn't difficult work it really isn't terribly time consuming.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 04-15-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7963_200477963
Old 04-15-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC View Post
Yeah, that's a good price except... there's not too many single axle trailers out there with a 7,000 pound axle and 6 lug wheels.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For a couple weeks i had to use my motorcycle. boy you get some looks pulling a trailer of lawn equipment behind a sport bike
Old 04-16-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
For a couple weeks i had to use my motorcycle. boy you get some looks pulling a trailer of lawn equipment behind a sport bike
but at least you had trailer brakes!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

nop. was only a 4x6 trailer. didnt have trouble stopping.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

this colorados easy to maintain. the strait 5 is a breeze to work on and everything else isnt all that different from a 1500 or even an s-10. but then I was a chevy mechanic for a couple years.....
Old 04-16-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I believe in use what you have till you can afford and need to up grade.

I have an 05 TJ unlimited, which is the stretched Wrangler. I take out the rear seat, put on a safari bikini top, and a windscreen from LF door surround to RF door surround. I now have an enclosed convertible pick up cab with heat and AC as needed with a pick up bed.

Rated to tow 3,500 lbs. My 42" JD LT180, 20" push, and all my hand helds, along with fuel comes in way under that.

Would I buy a TJU to landscape with? I wish I had a Chevy/GMC 1500 with a small block, 4wd, crew cab.

Though the Jeep is what I had so it is what I use.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclawns365 View Post
I kind of split the difference. I have a colorado with the 5cyl. and 4x4. Cheapest crew cab I could find (babies) and it still gets 19 to 20 pulling my dual axle mowing rig. At the same time it tows the 12 foot dump trailer fully loaded. doesnt sink and the drag isnt terrible. The S-10 zr2 or zr5s would do about the same I imagine (with a little suspention bolstering). Point is, Unless I go way above where my work is now I dont have to consider anything bigger for several more years.
Yikes! No way I'd be pulling a fully loaded dump trailer with a Colorado. Isn't the towing capacity like 3,000 pounds? I'd think you'd be overloaded empty. My 12 foot dump trailer fully loaded is 10,000 pounds and that's a heavy load even for my 3/4 ton Chevy.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I've been thinking about the i5 colorado, would that be an "upgrade" or a lateral move. I really like the KISS method of running this business.