Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS JOB.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

How did this one play out?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Really well actually, didn't fix the problem, just did what the customers wanted. Ended up going in and removing all of the leaves, debris, dead wood and down trees. Regrading the ground away from the house the best I could, didn't have much to play with and then came in a covered the ground with 10 yards of wood chips. I quoted it at 30 yards and def could have used 30 but the customer only wanted to do 10. All in all though, the customers absolutely loved it and within 3 days after completion, they had an offer on their house. I will post pictures tomorrow of the finished product.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you to everyone for your input who had advice for me!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

why wouldn't it be possible to simply regrade? add as much soil around the foundation as possible and create a consistent negative grade, then make/dig a swail out 50 ft. or so away from the house (which would now be the lowest point), which will redirect the bulk of the water away from the house (where water is initially entering from the positive grade/woods)...if it is a still an issue dig the swail deeper and fill with gravel and top with landscape rock, could even add drain tile underneath if necessary...even multiple drywells would be an option (in addition to or stand alone), could even tie that in with the gutters/downspouts and create a drainage system...?

i know these aren't simple and inexpensive fixes, but that wasn't the concern here, simply wanted to know the options

this would also help the sump pump issue since the bulk of the water would be redirected, an added bonus

Last edited by jbell36; 05-18-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

as a side note, i would definitely thin out the trees too, need to let in more sunlight to grow grass
Old 05-18-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you look carefully, you'll see that there is positive drainage from the house. The problem is that it ends at the puddle and there is no more downhill to direct the water to.

There may also be a high water table meaning that the soils is saturated ... meaning that if you dig a hole, it instantly fills with water. ... like trying to drain water into a full pool. It just plain does not accept water because it is already full.