Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

47 Students Graduate from Davey Institute of Tree Sciences

47 Students Graduate from Davey Institute of Tree Sciences

Kent, Ohio – One of the largest classes in recent years has completed the Davey Institute of Tree Sciences (D.I.T.S.). Nearly 50 Davey employees attended the month-long education, which is the flagship training program of The Davey Tree Expert Company.

D.I.T.S., which has been an annual tradition for more than a century, includes classroom and field exercises in climbing and safety procedures, tree and plant care, disease and pest diagnosis, management practices and team building.

R.J. Laverne, manager of education and training at Davey, pointed out that D.I.T.S. is only one of many training programs Davey offers. “We value and understand the importance of continuing education. Davey provides our employees with a plethora of education programs, such as our associate’s degree program and online extension coursework within the green industry,” said Laverne. “D.I.T.S. takes a hands-on, practical approach to prepare students for technical, business-driven and team-related opportunities.”

This year’s class included sessions on how to spot invasive species such as the Asian Longhorned Beetle and Emerald Ash Borer. Students also learned about how to preserve trees during construction and heard management presentations from their respective service lines as the program drew to a close.

As part of the D.I.T.S. graduation banquet, Laverne announced that Nick Broughton, a plant health care coordinator at Davey’s Barrington, Ill., office, received the Golden Oak Award, which is earned by the student with the highest academic performance.

Attendees were drawn from Davey operations across North America and had to be nominated by their field managers and approved by corporate management to be admitted into the prestigious program. This year’s participants included: Armand Banks; Carl Banks, Jr.; Jason Barthelmes; Sarah Belcher; Carol Bradford-Roe; Bob Brinker; Nick Broughton; Cory Campbell; Colin Celaya; Garland Cisneros; Alanna Claffey; Travis Davis; Michael Dye; Brian Edwards; Jarod Emerson; Brendan Epp; Andy Furneaux; Michael Glazier; Michael Hale; Paul Herb; Seth Huber; Jesse Imbeault; Alan Joiner; Joe Langseth; Jacob LeBarre; Scott Lieber; Tim Lotz; David MacInnis; Mark Mann; Taylor Maslowski; Aaron Mayhew; Steve McCarthy; Ryan McKenna; David Nadolski; Darwin Phillips; Treven Pratt; Robert Raymond; Sean Rock; Ryan Sherman; Barry Sherwood; Brandon Snyder; Matthew Stobbart; Kyle Stolarick; Matt Throngard; Auxilio Tovar; Collin Whitmire and Anthony Wright.

The Davey Tree Expert Company, with U.S. and Canadian operations in more than 45 states and five provinces, provides a variety of tree care, grounds maintenance and consulting services for the residential, utility, commercial and government markets. Founded in 1880, Davey is employee owned and has more than 7,000 employees who provide Proven Solutions for a Growing World. For more information, visit www.davey.com.

###
Photo caption: Nick Broughton (middle), general foreman at Davey Tree, presents his Golden Oak Award with Greg Ina (left), vice president and general manager at The Davey Institute, and Pat Covey (right), chief operating officer at Davey Tree. Broughton won the award for achieving the highest academic performance in the 2013 D.I.T.S. class.
Attached Images