Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-16-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Start by getting an education and a truck.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with taking a job with a contractor or local parks and get some guided work experience while you put some money in your pocket and get some movement toward a vehicle.

If you simply can't commit to a summer job, go as a gardener. There is an endless demand for pulling weeds, planting flowers and shaping shrubs. It can have a flexible schedule. All of your tools can fit in a bucket and carry a hoe or shovel (including on a bus). No need for power equipment to get going, just some willingness to work the dirt and learn what is and what is not a weed in the yards you service.

Under that path, you can develop a customer base with a niche service that is in high demand in California that next to no one wants to do. Next season, with more cash and some business experience under your belt, you can turn them into mowing customers and make the commitment to all the costs that entails, or just keep gardening.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenUtah View Post
Under that path, you can develop a customer base with a niche service that is in high demand in California that next to no one wants to do.
Well, clearly you are not familiar with CA.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Great to see some of the younger generation still has a desire to work. Here is my $0.02.

Being yall are starting with nothing and may not be able to service lawns all year due to school etc.. I would start contacting local lawn/landscape companies and see if they are hiring summer help. That way no money out your pocket for equipment and you gain some experience in the field. Will give you a chance to get the feel for the industry.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with this. Enjoy your teenage years. Find a local company and ask if the are hiring. Like Jacob said, you get the experience plus a little extra money in your pocket. It's basically like there are paying you to learn lol

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get a job with another company. Consider it paid training for your own business. Call the local small guys, see if they need part time help. Build a relationship with the owner and perhaps they will help you get started next year. As for your partner? Skip it. Don't have a partner. Go solo or be an employee for someone else. The single best thing you can do is NOT have a partner.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Well, clearly you are not familiar with CA.
All of California, probably not. But my brother runs out of southern Cal (just north of San Diego) where, according to him in every conversation over the past 15 years, people are not nearly as concerned with their lawns (if they have them) as they are the rest of their landscapes. Yes, the preferred term is to refer to yourself as a gardener there when you are, in reality, doing everything on a property, but as far as actual gardening duties, outside of mowing, there are generally only two types of people that want to do that for homeowners.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Buy a wagon of some sort you can load with alot of your equipment, depending on the type you get you could put the mower on it as well as gas cans, trimmers and possibly a rack to hold other things.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

What type of wagon? beecause thats a great idea.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok, so here's my $.02, I'm 17 and have been doing this for 5 years or so now. What I've done is just use my parents push mower and get accounts that are close enough for me to walk to. I've also just asked to use their mower and trimmer. You can easily make $200 a week, and in no time you'll have enough for a car. Don't get a car right away though, it isn't essential. Save up for something nice, and something that will last. I've finally saved up enough and I was able to buy a push mower and trailer. Good luck my man. Don't forget to have AMAZING customer service. You need a good reputation and the ability to network to get enough accounts when you start from nothing. Since you also have basically no overhead, charge less to begin with. Get them in the first year and gradually bump it up as overhead and experience increases, basically like a crack dealer. But not...

2013 Toyota Highlander

A mower
Another mower
A trimmer
A blower
A trailer

17 years old

Tags
emergency , help me