Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I reluctantly went with a brand new grandstand. After having issues with my 09 gs I swore off buying another. The pricing was very aggressive to say the least and after talking to some people from the dealer they assured me the newer models were problem free. This search was more about looking for negatives in the units than the positives. Not a very exciting search glad it is over and I can start mowing this week.
Posted via Mobile Device
What size did you get and why? I'm picking up a demo GS 52" this afternoon to try out on some smaller yards.

I'm not thinking about replacing my Kubota 60" ztr just adding to the mix. I am thinking about replacing a Gravely 50" WB Pro 150 14hp I own. It's mainly for lighter duty work. Not strong enough for a sulky.

I'm finding more clients are concerned about big equipment in small yards.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Gravely pro stance is a great machine. I tested many standers out over the past week and the 48" prostance was one of them. Great company and dealer. Very well built and handled flawlessly. I would recommend this mower to anyone. With that being said there were flaws in every stander I tested out. I spent countless hours researching and looking at different models. At a later date I may get into specifics.
The 2 minor imperfections in the pro stance were the weight and speed of the machine. Unfortunately speed and weight were important in my application so I could not pull the trigger even after the dealer gave me a really good price on it.

All of the standers had there flaws and you would have to combine all of them to make a perfect stander. At the end of the day you have to pick the one you are comfortable with. I have used a stander for countless hours over the past few seasons so even the smallest imperfection stood out.

I almost bought the gravely as it was a very stout machine and the dealer was close by. But I ended up going in another direction.
Posted via Mobile Device
The Pro-Stance is heavy due to its build quality, yet its extremely easy on turf. Also the Pro-Stance has a top speed of 9 mph vs the 8 mph Grandstand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
The Pro-Stance is heavy due to its build quality, yet its extremely easy on turf. Also the Pro-Stance has a top speed of 9 mph vs the 8 mph Grandstand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Have to agree to disagree on the speed. It may say 9mph in the specs. but there is no way the unit I tested out went that fast. But I 100 percent agree with you about the quality. Probably the best built machine I looked at it. Weight was a major consideration as well as speed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's how I felt on the Exmark Vantage. I felt it was very slow and that there was no way it ran 8mph. I agree though that even with the Pro Stance weighing as much as they do they are very very easy on the turf. Heck I was mowing in the rain today and even then it didn't even tear up anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
That's how I felt on the Exmark Vantage. I felt it was very slow and that there was no way it ran 8mph. I agree though that even with the Pro Stance weighing as much as they do they are very very easy on the turf. Heck I was mowing in the rain today and even then it didn't even tear up anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree about the vantage. The one I rode around had alot of slop in the controls. You had to push the control levers quite a bit just to get the unit to move. Maybe because it was last years model. I dont think it went 8 mph either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS Lawns View Post
What size did you get and why? I'm picking up a demo GS 52" this afternoon to try out on some smaller yards.

I'm not thinking about replacing my Kubota 60" ztr just adding to the mix. I am thinking about replacing a Gravely 50" WB Pro 150 14hp I own. It's mainly for lighter duty work. Not strong enough for a sulky.

I'm finding more clients are concerned about big equipment in small yards.
48" deck 22 hp.
A few reasons in no particular order.

1. Very quick and agile.
2. Tracking was true.
3. Great deal, pricewise.
4. Toro's ocdc allows an accelerator bagger to be placed on the mower pretty easily so you can go from bagging to side discharging to blocking off the chute in no time.

Take time to test different ones out. The all have pros and cons.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any stand-ons go as fast as they say they go?

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Have to agree to disagree on the speed. It may say 9mph in the specs. but there is no way the unit I tested out went that fast. But I 100 percent agree with you about the quality. Probably the best built machine I looked at it. Weight was a major consideration as well as speed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe you knew this, maybe not, but you can adjust the front bar on the Pro Stance so that you limit the top speed. If the system wasn't set to it's maximum setting, you definitely would not go 9MPH. Just a thought.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Maybe you knew this, maybe not, but you can adjust the front bar on the Pro Stance so that you limit the top speed. If the system wasn't set to it's maximum setting, you definitely would not go 9MPH. Just a thought.
Very good thought and may have very well been the case. I know when I did this review 9 mph felt very fast on the Pro-Stance, not like on a low riding ztr.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2013, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Yes. The guy in the shop adjusted the bar.
Posted via Mobile Device