Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
The problem with systems is they don't have your personality and sales skills built into them. Any of my guys can price a job, they can't all sell it.
Posted via Mobile Device
On what basis are they pricing it? From a formal or from the hip?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
The problem with systems is they don't have your personality and sales skills built into them. Any of my guys can price a job, they can't all sell it.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is why you use a system to hire sales employees and then use your training system to make them from good sellers to great sellers. Seems to work well for Brickma & Tru-Browm (Green) wouldn't you think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a great system. contact book, paper and digital calendar for scheduling, i carry a notepad and pen with me always in my shirt pocket for customer phone calls and giving estimates, I invoice the customer after im done using a triplicate book, and I send monthly invoices to all customers whether they have a balance or not, just to be thourogh. and when they pay, I go back right then and mark on the invoice PAID.

Yeah, thats pretty much it.
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So, OP, did you get the jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
This is why you use a system to hire sales employees and then use your training system to make them from good sellers to great sellers. Seems to work well for Brickma & Tru-Browm (Green) wouldn't you think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Or, it's just their rock bottom pricing...............

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They obviously have a system to create their pricing strategy which lands them all the properties they have, that's partly why they're the one of the biggest in the country.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Not big enough to need a salesperson. We offer way too many other services that most of my guys are not familiar enough with to price and sell. I'm not looking to be the thousands of lawns guy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

S. Lynch had great article recently that touched on business failures. The gist of the story was that businesses fail for two reasons:

1. Ignorance - don't know enough.
2. Ineptitude - failure to follow a proven process.

The latter accounting for most of the failures. Research showed that utilizing something as simple as a checklist rather then going on gut instinct can be the difference between business success or failure - would you fly on an airplane or have surgery if the the pilot or doctor didn't follow a detailed checklist? I wouldn't.

"Do any of these themes sound familiar: I trust my gut; I know what I am doing; Process is beneath me; I don’t need a checklist; I feel restricted when I follow a process; My work is too complicated to be reduced to a process."

Strategy + execution(processes) = results. I will always take a good strategy that can be executed at a 95% rather then a great strategy executed at 50% - the only way to execute that strategy at 95% is to follow processes.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't get me wrong, systems are necessary and mine are lacking. But to send an untrained individual out to do a bid, especially allegedly worth $1.8M........

Quote:
They obviously have a system to create their pricing strategy which lands them all the properties they have, that's partly why they're the one of the biggest in the country.
Posted via Mobile Device
McDonald's is the biggest, are they the best? And they have awesome systems.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

McDonald's is the biggest, are they the best? And they have awesome systems.[/QUOTE]

They are the best hamburger joint at making lots of money.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

one thing i spent alot of time on this week was my lawn treatment bid sheet using an excel worksheet, i measure a property online.. enter the square footage, and round # i can start with for the first treatment. It calculates the price per app and how much it would cost them per year, calculates the cost of the optional services like aeration. I got some "discount" codes in there for really close by stuff and super small yards that i may just want to try harder to get. The way i have it now, my wife who knows nothing about my pricing and various treatments could do a bid by just measuring the lawn online, enter in the sq. footage and start round. and bam. I e-mail or call them back with the quote. many times you can get a street view which gives alot better idea of what your up against. However, i do not know how this will work for mowing jobs and tree trimming. However, I have 3 new mowing accounts to start thursday that i have not seen in person.. checks will be under the door mat. The satellite images were clear and i know how many sq. ft., already being familiar with the neighborhoods i know the terrain isn't very hilly. I'm hoping this cuts down on my fuel usage this year, because i'm tired of driving around doing free estimates. There are to many people out there that just seem to want to waste my time. I'm hoping to build more new business from referrals from existing customers though.

I could definetly use some time off of lawnsite though.. i'm not as bad as i used to be, to busy anyways.