Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-17-2013, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

pick your brains on slope stabilization...

Hey guys, I have a customer for whom we are doing some landscaping and new lawn install. He just moved into a new development and has an issue in his back yard. About 50' from the back of the house his yard slopes down into a marsh area (have yet to verify if this is a natural wetland with GIS, eff the EPA...)

The problem is the slope is about 30-35* with a face run of about 50' down to the bottom from the crest of the back yard. He wants me to come up with some ideas on how to stabilize this area. There are some visible "cracks" at the crest area that shows the slope is settling as it was all excavated soil that was dozed and graded for the back yard. So I am thinking it will continue to settle.

My idea was to dig a trench at the crest to install some gravel and drain tile running parallel with the edge, wrapped in geotex with 2-3 discharge pipes running down the slope. After this, use a special slope seed mix and then add a rock layer of rip rap, rough avg. 6-12" limestone pieces over the face of the slope.

What do you guys think? My only concern will be future settling since this is already excavated soil just graded. I know I've seen Chris using that plastic matting with pockets on the bridge project he did last year, but he said it was a pain in the butt.

Any other ideas?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTouch Groundscapes View Post
Hey guys, I have a customer for whom we are doing some landscaping and new lawn install. He just moved into a new development and has an issue in his back yard. About 50' from the back of the house his yard slopes down into a marsh area (have yet to verify if this is a natural wetland with GIS, eff the EPA...)

The problem is the slope is about 30-35* with a face run of about 50' down to the bottom from the crest of the back yard. He wants me to come up with some ideas on how to stabilize this area. There are some visible "cracks" at the crest area that shows the slope is settling as it was all excavated soil that was dozed and graded for the back yard. So I am thinking it will continue to settle.

My idea was to dig a trench at the crest to install some gravel and drain tile running parallel with the edge, wrapped in geotex with 2-3 discharge pipes running down the slope. After this, use a special slope seed mix and then add a rock layer of rip rap, rough avg. 6-12" limestone pieces over the face of the slope.

What do you guys think? My only concern will be future settling since this is already excavated soil just graded. I know I've seen Chris using that plastic matting with pockets on the bridge project he did last year, but he said it was a pain in the butt.

Any other ideas?
yeah the Geo web is a very expensive product. is there a way you can grade the slope down so that it is not so steep? I think a French drain at the top of the hill is a waste of time. The problem lies at the bottom. the dirt was just pushed over the hill over unstable dirt. It happens all the time and I do it as well.
One thing you could do is to regrade the slope and install some sort of erosion matting and try to get some vegetation to start growing and hold the dirt.
The next and more expensive route would be to grade it, put down fabric and rip rap the entire slope.
all depends on how much the customer wants to spend!

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 04-19-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would love to just extend the slope out to decrease the angle, but at the very base of the current slope starts that marsh area. I would need 20' easy to get the angle not as severe.

I have thought about some wildflower/slope mix with straw blanket and some jute netting stapled down. Is there a maximum pitch for rip rap?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll try to get some pictures today, it should help to give you a better idea.