Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

when i worked at trugreen, the sales people put in every lawn at 3k square feet just to price low to get a sale. it was a nightmare. I used to push spread 1 acre lawns for like 100 bucks. i don't see how they do it, mabee its different now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
This is why you use a system to hire sales employees and then use your training system to make them from good sellers to great sellers. Seems to work well for Brickma & Tru-Browm (Green) wouldn't you think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2013, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
The problem with systems is they don't have your personality and sales skills built into them. Any of my guys can price a job, they can't all sell it.
Posted via Mobile Device
With systems you don't hire "lawn guys" to do your quoting. You hire actual sales people. People that know how to close a deal. That have the personality. They don't need to know how to do any of the work they're doing as long as they have a system to accurately bid off of. You give them the system to bid the job. They do the leg work and come up with a price. They sell it to the customer.

They know answers to questions the clients has because they're read your entire collection of operating manuals. They know what the workers will likely do in certain situations because you've written down what you want every employee to do in that situation.

The hardest part after getting the systems and operating manuals in place is enforcing them.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Don't get me wrong, systems are necessary and mine are lacking. But to send an untrained individual out to do a bid, especially allegedly worth $1.8M........

McDonald's is the biggest, are they the best? And they have awesome systems.
Systems are part of training an individual. So therefore they wouldn't be untrained. However they should work up to that level account.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
So, OP, did you get the jobs?
It was broken into many different sections. We were within a few hundred $ of winning some sections and a few K on others. Im sure we would not have been any more successful if this bidding system was not in place; some of these winning bids are in left field.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

subscribed
Old 04-18-2013, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_mott85 View Post
With systems you don't hiring guys" to do your quoting. You hire actual sales people. People that know how to close a deal. That have the personality. They don't need to know how to do any of the work they're doing as long as they have a system to accurately bid off of. You give them the system to bid the job. They do the leg work and come up with a price. They sell it to the customer.

They know answers to questions the clients has because they're read your entire collection of operating manuals. They know what the workers will likely do in certain situations because you've written down what you want every employee to do in that situation.

The hardest part after getting the systems and operating manuals in place is enforcing them.

This is the exact answer that was needed. Systems & operating manuals in place & enforced are what make a business worth money above what their used equipment & "accounts" can sell for. Most lawn/landscape/snow jockeys don't understand this because they don't grasp the true business aspect.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_mott85 View Post
With systems you don't hire "lawn guys" to do your quoting. You hire actual sales people. People that know how to close a deal. That have the personality. They don't need to know how to do any of the work they're doing as long as they have a system to accurately bid off of. You give them the system to bid the job. They do the leg work and come up with a price. They sell it to the customer.

I disagree, several of my competitors have gone this route and hasn't worked for them. I truly believe one needs to be "in" the industry in order to be able to sell it. And these competitors are very systemitized, been to PLANET and all the other BS conferences that shows one how to be the biggest in the area, blah, blah, blah.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 04-18-2013, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I disagree, several of my competitors have gone this route and hasn't worked for them. I truly believe one needs to be "in" the industry in order to be able to sell it. And these competitors are very systemitized, been to PLANET and all the other BS conferences that shows one how to be the biggest in the area, blah, blah, blah.
You're right. No salesman that hasn't worked in this business is going to know crap by reading manuals. Manuals don't teach turf types and problems. Manuals can't teach design and plant layout. Manuals can't teach irrigation design and layout. Trugreen is a perfect example. The salesman underbids and underestimates the turf. Who pays? The applicator who is treating twice the turf and weeds the saleman sold. The only person who stands a chance at being a good salesman in this business is one that has been a manager of an LCO. The vast majority of LCO's just don't fall into the range of being able to support a full time sales dept. I am perfectly content doing the sales and design end of things. Too many people dream too big instead of dreaming realistic. The systems I have focus on route efficiency and time management. Product control and equipment maintenance are down to tight systems too.
Posted via Mobile Device