Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 PM
inzane's Avatar
inzane inzane is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, GA
Posts: 1,620
when i worked at trugreen, the sales people put in every lawn at 3k square feet just to price low to get a sale. it was a nightmare. I used to push spread 1 acre lawns for like 100 bucks. i don't see how they do it, mabee its different now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
This is why you use a system to hire sales employees and then use your training system to make them from good sellers to great sellers. Seems to work well for Brickma & Tru-Browm (Green) wouldn't you think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-17-2013, 03:50 PM
tyler_mott85's Avatar
tyler_mott85 tyler_mott85 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
The problem with systems is they don't have your personality and sales skills built into them. Any of my guys can price a job, they can't all sell it.
Posted via Mobile Device
With systems you don't hire "lawn guys" to do your quoting. You hire actual sales people. People that know how to close a deal. That have the personality. They don't need to know how to do any of the work they're doing as long as they have a system to accurately bid off of. You give them the system to bid the job. They do the leg work and come up with a price. They sell it to the customer.

They know answers to questions the clients has because they're read your entire collection of operating manuals. They know what the workers will likely do in certain situations because you've written down what you want every employee to do in that situation.

The hardest part after getting the systems and operating manuals in place is enforcing them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-17-2013, 06:02 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 2,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Don't get me wrong, systems are necessary and mine are lacking. But to send an untrained individual out to do a bid, especially allegedly worth $1.8M........



McDonald's is the biggest, are they the best? And they have awesome systems.
Systems are part of training an individual. So therefore they wouldn't be untrained. However they should work up to that level account.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Efficiency's Avatar
Efficiency Efficiency is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: zone 6
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
So, OP, did you get the jobs?
It was broken into many different sections. We were within a few hundred $ of winning some sections and a few K on others. Im sure we would not have been any more successful if this bidding system was not in place; some of these winning bids are in left field.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-17-2013, 10:48 PM
JCResources JCResources is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: central Kansas USA
Posts: 112
subscribed
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-18-2013, 02:36 AM
JContracting's Avatar
JContracting JContracting is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Champlin, MN
Posts: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_mott85 View Post
With systems you don't hiring guys" to do your quoting. You hire actual sales people. People that know how to close a deal. That have the personality. They don't need to know how to do any of the work they're doing as long as they have a system to accurately bid off of. You give them the system to bid the job. They do the leg work and come up with a price. They sell it to the customer.

They know answers to questions the clients has because they're read your entire collection of operating manuals. They know what the workers will likely do in certain situations because you've written down what you want every employee to do in that situation.

The hardest part after getting the systems and operating manuals in place is enforcing them.


This is the exact answer that was needed. Systems & operating manuals in place & enforced are what make a business worth money above what their used equipment & "accounts" can sell for. Most lawn/landscape/snow jockeys don't understand this because they don't grasp the true business aspect.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Mark Oomkes Mark Oomkes is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 6,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_mott85 View Post
With systems you don't hire "lawn guys" to do your quoting. You hire actual sales people. People that know how to close a deal. That have the personality. They don't need to know how to do any of the work they're doing as long as they have a system to accurately bid off of. You give them the system to bid the job. They do the leg work and come up with a price. They sell it to the customer.

They know answers to questions the clients has because they're read your entire collection of operating manuals. They know what the workers will likely do in certain situations because you've written down what you want every employee to do in that situation.

The hardest part after getting the systems and operating manuals in place is enforcing them.
I disagree, several of my competitors have gone this route and hasn't worked for them. I truly believe one needs to be "in" the industry in order to be able to sell it. And these competitors are very systemitized, been to PLANET and all the other BS conferences that shows one how to be the biggest in the area, blah, blah, blah.
__________________
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
I disagree, several of my competitors have gone this route and hasn't worked for them. I truly believe one needs to be "in" the industry in order to be able to sell it. And these competitors are very systemitized, been to PLANET and all the other BS conferences that shows one how to be the biggest in the area, blah, blah, blah.
You're right. No salesman that hasn't worked in this business is going to know crap by reading manuals. Manuals don't teach turf types and problems. Manuals can't teach design and plant layout. Manuals can't teach irrigation design and layout. Trugreen is a perfect example. The salesman underbids and underestimates the turf. Who pays? The applicator who is treating twice the turf and weeds the saleman sold. The only person who stands a chance at being a good salesman in this business is one that has been a manager of an LCO. The vast majority of LCO's just don't fall into the range of being able to support a full time sales dept. I am perfectly content doing the sales and design end of things. Too many people dream too big instead of dreaming realistic. The systems I have focus on route efficiency and time management. Product control and equipment maintenance are down to tight systems too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:06 AM.

Page generated in 0.07196 seconds with 9 queries