Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 04-17-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Newbie jumped in head first! Couple Qs..

Hey gang,

I just bought an '06 Super Z last week with a 72" deck and the 25hp Kawasaki engine. I totally dove in on a whim and probably didn't pick the perfect unit, but I'd never even heard of a Hustler till early last week. Now I see my local town dealer carries them, which is a good thing The model I got has only 92 hrs on it.

I'm a small farmer and have about 5 acres to mow and have FINALLY jumped off this Kubota with a 54" deck and decided to save some time. The Kubota is for sale with no regrets! I'm curious as to what I ought to "watch out for" in a model of this vintage. Is there much that has been changed that is an absolute must to watch for in an '06 or '07 model, or is it mostly about power and convenience and durability?

I'm wondering..not too many people seem to have a SuperZ with this big of a deck and the Kawasaki engine. Is that because it's a little under powered with such a big deck? Mine is the rear discharge and the only complaint I have is mild clumping in wet or heavy grass. It is such a big improvement, though, that I'm happy as a clam to blow grass or suck up with my little Snapper bagger. It does "bog down" some but I'm perfectly fine simply slowing down where it is needed.

Also, I'm not too sure and embarrassed to ask, is this motor fuel injected or not? I'm pretty sure it is carburated but I still dont' even have an owners manual for it, nor have I dug into it deep enough to find a carb.

Another Q..everyone seems to love the flex forks. But what is the downside of them? I saw a post or two about the momentum of a stop/turn perhaps pushing down on them and causing the deck to cut into the grass to hard, causing marks? Is that it?

Thanks for any comments or feedback, looking forward to learning more!

B
Old 04-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Sponsor

If you didn't get them I would suggest going to hustlerturf.com and on the bottom of the page is a link for manuals. I would download the owners and parts manuals for your machine.
at the time your machine was built, the 25hp was the big boy in town. Now we go up to 37hp. Your RD deck will make it easier on the engine, just slowdown a bit and keep your RPMs up.
I love the flex forks, but... I sell flex forks mostly to home owners and gov't agencies. They seem not to be in a big hurry like some of the pro's are. The only downside for you on the flex forks is if you hotdog your driving. Fast starts and sudden stops. The deck will raise up or dip down. Smooth stops and starts all is fine. Driving is much smoother and you'll love them. Even with the suspension seat the ride is better with the forks.
Do you oil changes on time and keep your blades sharp and air filter clean and you'll be good for years..

Brian O
Old 04-17-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlermidwest View Post
If you didn't get them I would suggest going to hustlerturf.com and on the bottom of the page is a link for manuals. I would download the owners and parts manuals for your machine.
at the time your machine was built, the 25hp was the big boy in town. Now we go up to 37hp. Your RD deck will make it easier on the engine, just slowdown a bit and keep your RPMs up.
I love the flex forks, but... I sell flex forks mostly to home owners and gov't agencies. They seem not to be in a big hurry like some of the pro's are. The only downside for you on the flex forks is if you hotdog your driving. Fast starts and sudden stops. The deck will raise up or dip down. Smooth stops and starts all is fine. Driving is much smoother and you'll love them. Even with the suspension seat the ride is better with the forks.
Do you oil changes on time and keep your blades sharp and air filter clean and you'll be good for years..

Brian O
Done, thanks Brian I'm pretty sure then that the 25hp from '06 is carbureted, right? I appreciat the quick comments and reply. I've got some forks spotted on Ebay, so I'm going after them

I'm loving this machine!

Western Oregon
2007 SuperZ 72" Kawasaki 25hp Rear Discharge
Old 04-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Sponsor

Enjoy the ride!
and yes it has a carb.

Brian O