Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

First and foremost ..... if you are in an area that requires irrigation, then install a proper irrigation system if you want any chance of growing a decent stand of turf. Where are you located?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Good idea... We'll be lucky to mow by May 15 here,,, let alone expect even the dormant seed to pop by then... We've done a lot of turf renovation in June,,, even July with great success...

Although CG is always a possibility when the soils warm to Summer temps,,, still we can get germination of perennial grasses in 4 or 5 days during that period, as long as it is SOAKED in good at seeding time then allowed to "Air Out" to some extent before continuing the barrage of irrigation... 10% A. Ryegrass does hurt either...

A good thick stand of new grass virtually eliminates any CG threat,,, depending on which one starts out with the upperhand...

Good Luck and let us know how this turns out...
Correction:

I meant to say, * 10% A Rygrass doesn't hurt either.. *.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Correction:

I meant to say, * 10% A Rygrass doesn't hurt either.. *.
Caught that, I was thinking, "What is smallaxe talking about?!"

Im located in Central MN. As far as irrigation goes, This apartment complex has over an acre of turf, no way she would go for that. Too much of an expense for this. The area sodded is 5-10' out from the stoops of the apartments. From the end of the sod to the fence (30+ ft') has a pretty healthy stand of KBG, went dormant for part of last summer but came back during fall time.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersman02 View Post

White, knowing that labor and equipment rental is not a problem, would you still opt to skip aerating first? We havent had ANY experiance with slit-seeding so were not sure what to expect
I wouldn't even consider aeration unless you think there is a major compaction issue that warrants an aeration first.

Even if you aerate, I'd still power seed the area. Aeration and seeding doesn't even come close to yielding the same results.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
I wouldn't even consider aeration unless you think there is a major compaction issue that warrants an aeration first.

Even if you aerate, I'd still power seed the area. Aeration and seeding doesn't even come close to yielding the same results.

Sounds good, I was thinking aerating to help pop through the existing sod thatch area. Sounds like slit seeding will get through this layer. We've NEVER used a split seeder in our 35 years and have had good results, so im VERY excited to see how these things preform.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Last question, How deep would you set the slit seeder? I know your looking for 1/4'' ish coverage for the seed, are we talking 1/4'' into the thatch or actual soil. I would assume soil.....
Old 04-18-2013, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are seeding a 1/4 inch into thatch(living and dead roots and stems) obviously the seed isn't necessary in that spot... if it is in dead thatch in which everything has become cover for the seed then it will be fine also...

but again,,, don't disturb the ground too much with your new seed,,, becuz your dormant seed is ready to pop as soon as the temps are right...

How much shade are you running around this building???
Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
If you are seeding a 1/4 inch into thatch(living and dead roots and stems) obviously the seed isn't necessary in that spot... if it is in dead thatch in which everything has become cover for the seed then it will be fine also...

but again,,, don't disturb the ground too much with your new seed,,, becuz your dormant seed is ready to pop as soon as the temps are right...

How much shade are you running around this building???
Its completely S facinig, so almost 100% sun
Old 04-18-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So it should warm quickly once the sun starts breaking through again... let us know when seed starts to germinate, becuz it seems that very little germination has taken place throughout the mid-west at all...
Are you going to hold off until May 16th then???
Old 04-18-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
So it should warm quickly once the sun starts breaking through again... let us know when seed starts to germinate, becuz it seems that very little germination has taken place throughout the mid-west at all...
Are you going to hold off until May 16th then???
Will be calling next week and touching base with her. Going to ask for 2 extra weeks because this weather.

Edit- its snowing out again