Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why the DIY?

I know lawn guys are hard core DIY types at heart, but when I look at all the energy being dumped into some really subpar websites, I have to wonder why you're doing it. It's not related to your core business, you cannot hope to be quick or efficient at it or probably ever recover a payback on the time you are spending, so why are you not handing at least portions of it off so you can get busy with what you get paid for?

Yes, there are some tools available to do some of the job, I get that, but they are equal to the homeowner tools for lawn and landscape, like the kind of thing that you might find on the end of an extension cord. will they get the job done? With enough patience, yes. Will it be pro grade and efficient, not even close.

My recent site I am definitely taking help with, so I can focus on what it's there for, to support the rest of my sales effort, which in turn provides the work that I actually get paid for. I also will include printed pieces that I used a graphic designer for and a host of digital ads.

I know many will say that they can't afford to hire a pro. Why? Trade it if you can't pay cash. Your labor and skill is a good currency, go make a deal.

If you don't want to use a pro, please explain to me your thought process on this.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I enjoy doing it and don't have 1K+ to spend. I believe that some of the worst sites that have shown up here are by "pro's"- often in trade.

This is our first Spring with our updated site and outbound marketing efforts. Our call volume is 4x's what it was last year. I'm pretty happy with that.

If you are able to build a site that is clean and somewhat sound "under the hood" you can see a great ROI. Of course, many of us can't meet that threshold, so yeah, paying someone would be better :-)
Posted via Mobile Device