Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2013, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Compromise, you pick him up in the a.m. Have is wife pick him up in the p.m.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

That this guy recognizes he cannot afford to buy a vehicle should be a sign that he is responsible and has good judgment, valued traits in an employee. Too many people have the mindset that if they can borrow the money to buy something, they should do it. for the instant gratification With what you say about him, I'd make an effort to keep him.

I like Blade Runners's idea if you can afford to buy a second truck to grow the business. While buying a beater has appeal, to have a truck that can be used on the job (which means its appearance needs to reflect positively on your business) could make you money. It sounds as if this guy may be a candidate to be a crew leader for you.

Consider trying to get new customers in your employee's neighborhood so some days your work could start or end near his home so the non-productive 20 minutes is only one way rather than round trip.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say start looking for his replacement. Transportation to work is a basic requirement. If he can't handle that I wouldn't want him around. There are others. If you help on this what's next? Pay his rent?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is there a bus service In your town? Are you sure he isn't just looking to leave but doesn't know how to tell you?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So, from the looks of your website and all those great testimonials, it sounds as if you might have more than one work truck correct? I mean, I don't know you but there is no way that you are using your personal truck and only your personal truck for all those clients. Let him take the oldest truck in the fleet home.... He must drive them anyways.... And a previous poster was correct in saying that this will show him that you are invested in him as well...