Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-18-2013, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure there is a plugged passage in the carb somewhere. Usually a melted off piece of fuel line from ethanol. For 55 I would replace it. A kit is going to cost 30 and you still might not get that passage clear. Replacing carbs seems to be the norm these days. Ticks me off as I'm not a parts changer mechanic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTmower View Post
Also forgot to mention when I spray the Seafoam in the carb the blower goes up to full power but then slowly goes back down to its weak current state. Going to try and access the high speed screw and see if that changes anything.
Blowing sea foam isn't going to help. You must find that adjustment surely the dealer will show it to you and help you get a tool to adjust it. I am not good at searchs but it was shown in this section. If you take the carb apart it might be easy to find the adj ....it is NOT a screwdrive slot it is a D shaped head so when you look in it looks like a pullet. I don't think mine was covered with plastic slug but it could have been. Sorry I can't help more but hate to see you buying a new carb.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe this will help ...it is 9 and 10 I think

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=e...999999&dn=6946
Old 04-19-2013, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it is running better with the choke on, then the high speed circuit is partially blocked. If you can't get that HS screw out or adjusted, you either need to take the thing apart and clean it thoroughly or just replace it.

I just went through this two days ago with one of my tractors that was running the same exact way. The carb for it is almost $170 so you can bet I learned a long time ago how to take it all apart and put it back together again. It runs like a swiss watch now.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The problem is they make those screw really hard to get to. Metal plugs epoxied in place, deep set screws with weird types of heads. An inexperienced person is likely is to ruin it. The EPA is making it impossible for anyone to mess with carbs these days. Keep the fuel clean, lines intact and the dirt out of the carb. Accept the fact carbs are going to fall into the replace only category.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Took my carb apart and there was definitely a little build up and what looked to be like rust inside the carb. Spray everything down with carb cleaner, put it back together and still only half power at full throttle. For $39.99 and free shipping I ordered a new carb for the blower. Carb kit was around $18 so I figured my time was worth the extra $20 instead of buying the carb kit, installing it, and it not working still. New carb will be installed on Wed and hopefully all goes well.
2007 Exmark 48" Turf Tracer HP 17hp
2 Shindaiwa Trimmers
Echo T755-H Backpack plower
JRCO dethatcher
6x14' Big Tex Open Trailer
Little Wonder 10hp blower
Echo T-150 Hedge Trimmer
Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTmower View Post
Took my carb apart and there was definitely a little build up and what looked to be like rust inside the carb. Spray everything down with carb cleaner, put it back together and still only half power at full throttle. For $39.99 and free shipping I ordered a new carb for the blower. Carb kit was around $18 so I figured my time was worth the extra $20 instead of buying the carb kit, installing it, and it not working still. New carb will be installed on Wed and hopefully all goes well.
So you still didn't find the adjustment screw By the way you will be right back here in a couple years if you don't find that screw. And you made a good decision on the kit because that wouldn't likely helped anything. As these units wear in they need more gas. And who knows how your new one will be set from the factory.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw where the screw was located when I took everything apart but didn't even bother trying to get to it. Looked like there was a white/tan nylon cap over it. Maybe once the new one comes in I'll play around with the old one and see what I can do. If anything, this carb issue has made me feel more comfortable about taking things apart and putting them back together.
2007 Exmark 48" Turf Tracer HP 17hp
2 Shindaiwa Trimmers
Echo T755-H Backpack plower
JRCO dethatcher
6x14' Big Tex Open Trailer
Little Wonder 10hp blower
Echo T-150 Hedge Trimmer