Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-09-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
In my opinion no. I will cut with a 29 anyday because the 35 is over kill 50% of the time.

The 29DFI is a very complex engine, lots to take care of, lots to fix, lots of things to go wrong. The 35 i bought because its a air cooled carb engine that seems to be alot more simple. Maybe when mine pops i will just toss a engine on it and 2 new hydros and run another 3k hours.
When which engine pops, the 29 or 35? Also Have you had any major issues with the 29DFI?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So what's the verdict? Good? Bad? How do you like the 29 efi Kohler?

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades Lawn Maintenance View Post
He hasn't had time to put hrs on any of them. Heck till mid summer he can't answer the question honestly because not enough time has past. 1/10/50/100hr reviews are not really good. A guy needs 250 plus hrs to make a verdict on a mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2013, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Touché my friend. But he can say if he likes it so far

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
Some good looking mowers you got there. Good luck in the season!
Thanks, LandFakers. They'll never look that good again. They're been covered in grass a few times already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades Lawn Maintenance View Post
So far, I'm very impressed with the 29 EFI Kohler. Everything has gone exactly as I had hoped and expected. The Briggs 35 has been a monster and literally, I am in awe of the power of this machine. It just blasts through super thick stuff and doesn't even flinch. Someone on here, maybe puppy paws, said the speed and efficiency of the 35hp makes up for whatever extra dollars you spend on fuel. After spending several hours on the 35, I can definitely see that as being possible. But today, I was on one of the 29hp EFI Kohlers and it also handled the thick stuff very well... not as well as the 35... but still pretty damn good... and with better fuel efficiency. I'm feeling pretty good about the decision to go with two 29hp's and one 35hp.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

dathorpe, what kinda gph u getting out of the 29? I got the 35 tt, it started out at 1.8-2 gph but its down to 1.6 with 650 hours on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2013, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
So far, I'm very impressed with the 29 EFI Kohler. Everything has gone exactly as I had hoped and expected. The Briggs 35 has been a monster and literally, I am in awe of the power of this machine. It just blasts through super thick stuff and doesn't even flinch. Someone on here, maybe puppy paws, said the speed and efficiency of the 35hp makes up for whatever extra dollars you spend on fuel. After spending several hours on the 35, I can definitely see that as being possible. But today, I was on one of the 29hp EFI Kohlers and it also handled the thick stuff very well... not as well as the 35... but still pretty damn good... and with better fuel efficiency. I'm feeling pretty good about the decision to go with two 29hp's and one 35hp.
How often do you find yourself in stuations where you think the power of the big block is really needed over the 29EFI?

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 04-19-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
dathorpe, what kinda gph u getting out of the 29? I got the 35 tt, it started out at 1.8-2 gph but its down to 1.6 with 650 hours on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Awww man, I don't know. It's spring, the grass is going crazy. Everyone and their brother is calling wanting something. I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how I can be in two places at once. I can say this for sure, the 29 is doing great on the gph... but I can't give you specifics. I've thrown the 35 in real heavy stuff... today in the rain and it made her grunt... she's sucking down the fuel but no more than I expected. They are both out-performing any Exmark Lazer or Toro Z Master I've ever owned. And I've owned several.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
How often do you find yourself in stuations where you think the power of the big block is really needed over the 29EFI?
Yesterday... today. At this time of the year, that extra power is nice. We do large properties so I've been running my 29's in areas of the lightest growth on those properties. I've been throwing the 35 in the heaviest stuff on the property. It's been working out great. Right now, everything is thick, lush, and tall so it's nice having a real bull to plow through the heaviest of it and take some of the load off the 29's. As the year goes on and we get into the heat of summer and the grass slows down, the 35 will see less use and the 29's will continue on with their regular routine.

I really believe the 29's are a better everyday mower... but there's things a 35 is better suited for.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you have the two best engine combos with the 35 and 29. Do you run any standers or WBs?

We are busy too. It is crazy right now and I actually want the calls and emails to slow down some so we can establish a good schedule.

While running the route last Sat. we picked up 7 new properties that day. On top of that, I've noticed more people wanting additional services. We didn't have that last season.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino