Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-19-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Transplanting Arbor Vitae?

I have a customer asking me to dig up and move two Arbor Vitae and plant them about 20 feet away. I have transplanted small evergreens and bushes before but never something this large.

From my experience evergreen roots run shallow and spread way out from the bush. There is a patio about 2 feet from these arbor vitae so I'm concerned about roots going under the patio.

If you have experience with transplanting these please share your experience and any tips for ensuring the plants survive.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Use a sharp spade to cut the roots straight down... Use a round nose shovel to dig your way under the root ball with your outside starting point being the bottom edge of your spade cut... go for the 18" - 24" depth at the center...

Ideally,,, you have a dish shaped rootball 8" thick at the outside edge, widenning toward the center and ending up at the 24" mark...
Realistically,,, you are going to have a lot of bare roots and perhaps all bare roots when you get it out... but I agree, that you'll need the widest aera of surface roots that you can get, which is going to be difficult, considering how they are clumped so close together...

Good time of year for bareroot transplants, so do get too worked up... How large are they in reality??? and which one stays???

Your biggest challenge will be preparing the hole at destination and correctly watering them in...
Old 04-20-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply...they are 8-9 foot tall and we are removing the two on the end.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is large... you going to do some pruning???
Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
That is large... you going to do some pruning???
Customer didn't ask for pruning. Why do you ask?
Old 04-21-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the arbor vitae transplant goes worse than one might like,,, may may want to prune back the foliage to balance the weakness in the roots...
Don't be afraid to really soak those transplants for the first week of so after planting,,, remember, they are low wetland plants that may spend half the Springtime under water...
Old 04-21-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok will keep that in mind and make sure customer waters frequently.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure your holes are ready before you dig them up. You don't want the roots to dry out at all before moving them to their new home. Those are a bit big to transplant in my opinion...young and small transplants will have a much higher success rate. I'm not saying it can't be done.

How are you going to move them...they're going to be heavy. Also, you might want to consider putting down a soaker hose on a timer after they're transplanted.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Soaker hose or drip bags. I would also think about some stakes and guy lines for a couple months.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Those 10 foot arbs properly dug up and balled for transport will weigh between 3 and 500 pounds prepare for that with 3 men and a proper tree carrier or 2 men and a dingo with forks. I personally use a gas powered tool called a Dyna-Digger I have 3 of them I can have those arbs out of the ground with crisp tight properly sized balls in about an hr. and the arbs would not even know they were dug up.