Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2013, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
always keep a couple extra cans of Copenhagen in the truck at all times. just in case you run out.
Stokers..Longcut Wintergreen. By the 12 oz. tub.

Yesterday I mowed a customer that has signs posted at the driveways that says, "TOBACCO FREE ZONE". Not even the truckers smoke!
I miscalculated and put in a big wad just before I mowed the front of the office. Swallowed a lot of really brown juice. I came home from work a little green. My wife asked me "Are you getting that stomach virus?" I answered, "Just a long day at work." (I wasn't in the mood to hear that lecture about quitting again.)

Back to the topic. I work under the premise that "THEY PAY ME TO MOW, I TRIM FOR FREE. Customers don't care how I keep it looking neat, just that it's done.
I do everything possible to eliminate trimming. If I edge a bed it's the deluxe version. I use a bed edger and install bed edging. I use soil sterilant around foundations with pea gravel to cover the mud. I get compliments on how good it looks. Plus it's all billed as "extras".
Most sterilants aren't approved for residential use and are tricky to use.

I figure they're not paying me so they can watch me sweat. They're paying for a well maintained property.

Sometimes LCO's do get paid for their "performance" on the job. I'm just not that good looking that anybody would want to see that.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewoosh View Post
I like to keep a few water bottles, clearly marked of course, with Pre measured amounts of weed killer so that you don't have to take time to measure it out whenever you have to refill out on the route. It is also nice to keep a detailed list of all of your equipments model numbers, serial numbers, belt part numbers, exact oil type per machine and so on in your truck. It really helps when you have a break down and you need to call around for the nearest parts. It is also helpful for when you aren't there and your help needs to top off fluids or calls with a problem. Having all the info at the shop in the files is where all original paperwork should be, but having the basic info on your route can really help in a crunch. I went as far as to laminate my equipment sheets in the work truck lol
Even with clearly marked water bottles that is a clear violation in NC. It is never a good idea to put weed killer in drink bottles. Suppose the bottle falls out on the ground and a toddler finds it. He can't read the clearly marked drink bottle. Don't mean to come down on you but it is a bad practice.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"Howard Leight" ear protectors/ headphones plugged into iphone and listening pandora radio rocks my day. Allman Brothers, John Lee Hooker and EC are my working stations.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Great tips. Really need one of this gate lift assist. I've seen them in the northern tool catalog. Anyone used that one?
Old 04-19-2013, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a set for my 5 x 14, they work great, and it is a extra long heavy duty gate.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Made my own gate lift assist. A heavy duty spring, PVC pipe, couple of pulleys, braided wire and some clamps.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Walk backwards to weed eat. Way faster and if a rock comes up, it hits you not the BMW

Carry a small spray bottle with pre mixed weed killer in a sprayer and hang it on the handlebars of your mower so you can just stop while mowing, grab the bottle, squeeze the trigger and BAM spot treatment on the SPOT
Old 04-20-2013, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I save a little bit of time when I'm using my 21" by using a spring clamp on the throttle lever to empty the bag and move obstacles. Probably save a lot of wear on my engine with not having to restart it so many times as well.

(I know I could save some time by switching to a 36, but we all start some where)
Old 04-20-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&L View Post
I save a little bit of time when I'm using my 21" by using a spring clamp on the throttle lever to empty the bag and move obstacles. Probably save a lot of wear on my engine with not having to restart it so many times as well.

(I know I could save some time by switching to a 36, but we all start some where)
if you had a Honda like I do you don't need to clamp the bails...

Honda HRC216HXA Commercial 21" Mower
Stihl FS90r
Stihl KM110 with String Trimmer, Articulating Hedge Trimmer, and Pick Tine Cultivator
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl SH56 Shredder Vac
Stihl MS250 Chain Saw
Old 04-21-2013, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

An ice scraper is what us northern guys use to get the ice off of the windshields in the morning..... It's pure coincidence that it is a perfect deck scraper!