Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2013, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Before or After

I was thinking about when you guys had rather spray a selective herbicide like Speedzone or Celsius? It's suppose to rain here on Friday so I can spray tomorrow or wait until Saturday, the day before the rain or the day after the rain? Lawns are irrigated but systems haven't been used any this season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 02:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

After please. What if it rains 10 inches per hour causing flooding. People spraying before it rains is one of the reasons why things that work well are no longer on the market or have ridiculous restrictions on the label such that they might as well not be on the market.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-11-2013, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess I hadn't really thought too much about the environmental aspects. Thanks for ringing my bell on the environment GDoctor.
I was focused on herbicide effectiveness. More to it than that tho.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Read the label, it will tell you what you need to know about applications and rain.

That and it's the law.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Parker View Post
I guess I hadn't really thought too much about the environmental aspects. Thanks for ringing my bell on the environment GDoctor.
I was focused on herbicide effectiveness. More to it than that tho.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't know how it works in your state. In my state, an older, previously registered AI turning up in waterways or in groundwater is automatically RUP, no exceptions. Newer AIs with the correct profile of persistence in soil, low binding to soil, and mobility in water are not allowed in the state period.

I have also seen bad things happen when water runs off or leaches from a treated lawn into the root zone of sensitive vegetation. If I spray the lawn, I control the irrigation to prevent that and no spraying is done before rain.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Green doctor, I spot sprayed some Celsius and monument 75 yesterday in my own yard. How long should I wait to turn on the irrigation to be safe? We had a big rain Friday the day before I sprayed, so I am not to concerned about turning them on. I just wanted to know a good safe timeline.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
Green doctor, I spot sprayed some Celsius and monument 75 yesterday in my own yard. How long should I wait to turn on the irrigation to be safe? We had a big rain Friday the day before I sprayed, so I am not to concerned about turning them on. I just wanted to know a good safe timeline.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think homeowner's should be allowed to spray anything in their yard, and this post above is a great example why.

READ THE LABEL PEOPLE WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL IT IS RIGHT THERE! Also another poster put it's the law right in this same thread.....
Old 04-21-2013, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lol, I have read the label. I actually have it downloaded to a .pdf file on my computer for easier reading. I was asking for his thoughts and opinions because he is usually stricter than the label. I am studying for my license and I understand the effects of water run off with these chemicals.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Celsius and Monument are absorbed into the weeds within 12 hours. The amount you apply is more than enough to kill. Be sure that there is no ponding or run off when you do turn irrigation back on. It could actually be several days before irrigation is needed again.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am totally changing my irrigation schedule this year. I am going once a week with multiple times early in the AM. I shouldn't have to turn it on it this week because we have more thunder storms coming wed-fri.
Posted via Mobile Device