Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Single vs double axle

What are the pros and cons?

I have a double axle 14+2 trailer now and looking to add a second .... Almost solely for mowing, pine straw, etc. With the axle rated for 3500 it should hold 2 ztrs but maybe not mulch.

At the moment it would haul a push and 60" ztr. Closer to leaf season I would need to transition the walker into use so a few weeks both would be needed. In my area a 2 man crew would be the most efficient and I currently don't have any properties where 2 mowing guys would be needed.

I assume the price isn't that different and I'm better off buying for future expansion.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Teeter toder affect on a single axle is much greater. Varying tounge waits. With your 60" and a stander you will be close to maxing it out also.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For 2 bigger mowers definitely want to go dual. You will be pushing the trailer to its limits the whole time you are using it which won't be good for longevity
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Two axles will wear out tires faster than single. Carry some plugs, the rear tires will be impaled by more than their fair share of debris. I think the first tire kicks stuff up and the second gets it in the tread.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a single axle loaded to close to 3,000 pounds running daily for over 2 years with zero problems. I go through brakes fast though lol.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Look at my newest trailer in my picture thread. It has a single 5200lb axle, with a side gate as well. This allows me to do the follow. It allows me to unload the little 36 zero turn on lawns without touching the 48, it allows my employee to grab the 36 at the same time I am unloading the 48 on properties, I pay less in tolls which is important here because each additional axle cost more money at the toll, and last but not least, I only have to replace one set of tires and that set will not wear as fast as a dual. Overall it cost me a little more to have this made custom like this, but in the long run it will save me way more than it will ever cost have cost me. The builder had it on his lot for 3 days until I could pick it up and had three offers to buy it because others seen the potential savings as well.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I always found two axle trailers were a more smooth ride, not as much bouncing around, but then again I've only had one single axle in my life and for not very long.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Tandem axle trailer feels better behind the wheel plus most tandem axles have brakes which takes much less of a tole on your trucks brakes I have a 60" scag I pulled on a single axle which was fine but I tried to pull my b2910 Kubota w front loader which is only about 3000# it didn't feel so happy anymore. Tandem axle trailer no bouncing and wobbling around, brakes make stopping safe, trailer bounces around much less when empty.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the tandem axle will provide a smoother ride and open you up to more opportunities. also like stated above it will limit the teeter totter when loading and unloading
Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yep same here grassmasterswilson. Was looking to replace the current 2000 6x12 trailer. Was not looking to expand the business just not sure what trailer to replace the current one with.

Is the extra cost of the 2 axle trailer worth the expense for superior ride an confidence?