Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Landscape Restoration (Input/Is there a market for this?)

I've worked in landscape/hardscape for a while now and I was asked by my buddys parents if I could help fix up their landscaping. They had walkway stones and stones outlining the beds that were buried into the grass/mulch. Their edges were nonexistent and it needed mulched very badly. After I finished it looked brand spankin new and that got me thinking. People get there landscaping done and a couple years later it looks like garbage because they do nothing to maintain it, i see it all the time driving down the road. Basically the idea is that those people spent a couple grand getting their landscaping done in the first place and two years down the road they don't want to pay the premium price to have one of the big companies come in and do it for them, but they also don't want some neighborhood kid coming in and doing a bad job. We dont have mush equipment but for what were doing I dont think we need it. I made service agreement sheets with the fancy logo at the top and all that jazz. My customer service skills are premium and i can sell, it comes naturally to me. I would give the option for them to go out and get their own mulch or I can go find the best price for them and have them get it delivered, but I would only use the premium vendors in the area like the big companies do (No garbage mulch, and they know EXACTLY how much mulch is being put in). Side Note; I've seen guys with maybe 3 yards of mulch in their truck bed knock on doors and do 10 yards around my neighborhood, makes you wonder how thin they spreaded it. Me and my buddy are just two broke college students trying to provide a healthy medium between large companies and craigslist schemers.

Do you think this could translate into a success? do you think people would bite?
What would be the best way to market this? Especially where to market this
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I'm brand new to this forum and I have to say its pretty awesome

Thanks,
Tommy
Old 04-22-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is a good idea and marketting should be reasonably successful... take a ride on a bicycle around the BETTER neighborhoods and see who could use a touchup... chances are there will be plenty of various cleanup opportunities also, if they are not happy with their current provider...
Old 04-22-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Spring Cleanup.

What you are referring to is called a spring cleanup and usually involves:

Mulch
Edging with a spade
Light pruning
Debris removal

This is a larger and very lucrative part of my business. During the spring it helps me make contact with my hardscaping customers and see what plans they have as well as generate a nice income to get the year started. Around here guys charge on average 100-125 yard of delivered and installed with edging and pruning. These are licensed insured companies by the way.

Obviously bidding by a set price is crazy but you get the idea. Some customers will ask for more or less. You just have to do an estimate and walk the property with the customer before-hand to understand what their needs are and then give them a quote/proposal. Get everything in writing and take 50 percent or whatever your state allows up front.

-Chris
Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tommy, I like your looking for ways to make money.

Thing is many landscapes are let go because people do not want to spend the money to maintain them.

I point out to my customers when they ask to do this or that I point out how often the up keep costs are left out when making the consideration to have work done.

Quite often people want to have less lawn to mow so they go for large beds. They do not think it through. They now created massive beds that have to be kept weed free, lot more shrubs to trim, large areas to hold leaves, tons of mulch, and so on.

Or they are getting older and ignore that working on their knees is going to be too much too soon for them.

Combined with most people want a picture perfect property but can't afford to maintain it, or rather spend most of their disposable income on other things that will give them more enjoyment for their money.

There are not enough people around willing to spend the money. Though keep trying and you will slowly find some.

Tags
maintenance , marketing , mulching , new business , startup