Register free!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Weed ID and soulution suggestions for customer..

I service a newly built home in my neighborhood. I think this guy got a VERY bad batch of sod from his builder. He has the tall grassy weeds throughout his lawn. I just mow it for him but he is looking for something to take these weeds out and I am not sure what he can do being the sod was laid in the winter time when the home was built so I know it is not considered established. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It looks like annual Rye to me. This time of year I would personally just wait it out for a few more weeks because it will start to burn up with 85 degree days.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
It looks like annual Rye to me. This time of year I would personally just wait it out for a few more weeks because it will start to burn up with 85 degree days.
I agree.

That looks like some of the crap they lay around here.

Builders have gotten skimpy with topsoil and sod farms have gotten skimpy with the sod. That stuff is paper thin.

He needs to call a pro for a weed control/fert program but the ryegrass is the least of his worries if he wants a nice lawn this year.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 04-23-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am trying to get him hooked up with someone not named Tru Green.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2013, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is mysterious. The weed is almost uniformly distributed--which is evidence that the unknown seed was carefully and uniformly mixed. Or perhaps the soil was contaminated and the topsoil (if used) was uniformly mixed.
On the other hand...
topsoil is not usually mixed carefully. And...no sod farm would buy seed comtaminated with annual rye.
Furthermore I think that this weed is quackgrass. It often comes up from broken off roots and rhizomes in low quality topsoil.
Dig up the roots and check for the presence of rhizomes--a strong sign that it is quackgrass. Clearly, it is a weed that is at home in cool weather. Did you find any seedheads...its the best way to identify.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...mg.CRLyHTtSj08

Bad news, as it is very difficult to eliminate. At least it is green

What species of grass is this? Why do you have two different colors on the front left? Does the sod have an equal amount of weeds in both colors and on all pallets of laid sod?
After a careful second look--do you think it came from sod or soil?

Last edited by RigglePLC; 04-23-2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Improper sod installation due to build timing and weather.
The sod is too thin from using a tactor sod layer. It stretches, pulls and becomes thinner as it is being worked. Often the sod is purchased and sits on the site until the prep work is done......then it rains on the sod and the silt erodes away exposing roots. As you install the sod, it will be thin in places and thicker in others. Contractor's will not throw away or trim out thin spots........this costs time and money. Bermuda will fill in and thicken if the turfgrass is kept, watered, fertilized on schedules.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Think green your installation quote is about spot on with how they do business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I commented in another thread about weed matter and how it invades sites.
I also drove around door-to-door doing card hangers. I went through 5 new subs, and saw roll after roll of new tifton 419 just sitting around unfinished homes. This grass will sit there until the site is done. Keep in mind, new readers, that Bermuda will keep until it is installed as long as it is dormant. I have even seen where it will keep after sitting on a pallet for two months--moldy and smelly. However, by the time these new sites is finished, weeds have been known to grow right on top of a roll and pallet if left for long periods of time. Developers have to purchase the grass when it is available......not when they want it during the ample season. Our golf courses keep the growers in business repairing fairways. Getting back to topic.......yes it seems unrealistic to understand what is going on but isn't this what keeps the weed spraying guys in business? It all leads back to improper installation due to (not installer failure) but to timing failure.