Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 AM
GrassGuerilla GrassGuerilla is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Posts: 1,418
If you haul them away, what will you do with them? I don't understand how you gave a bid without a disposal plan? Local composting facility charges by trailer size here. A 16' trailer load costs $95 to dump alone. Hauling charge, dumping fee? If its as much material as I'm thinking, you get to do it for about $0.

For your sake, I hope they will pick it up curb side.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-23-2013, 03:24 PM
TaylorLandscapingLLC TaylorLandscapingLLC is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Crestview Florida
Posts: 101
Im not sure of the species of bush. its got light green leaves on it. the story is:

the landlord called me yesterday panicked because his tenants didnt keep up with the lawn care. He is leaving the country for 3 weeks for vacation and needed to get someone over there to take care of this bushes asap. The bushes got overgrown and now he has a buyer for his house but the bank wont approve their loan for the house until the bushes are cut 1' from the structure. I tried to tell him if i cut that much material from the bushes they will be bare with very few leaves, and it might actually kill them. He said he didnt care what it looked like. He just wanted them cut down to 3' so it was even with the smaller bushes and so the address could be read from the street as the bushes were covering it up.

I made sure he understood what the outcome was going to be and he repeated he didnt care if there was just a trunk and some sticks.i forgot to discuss with him that i would be leaving the clippings roadside (we do have a debris pickup in our town). I figured since his tenants are being evicted, his new buyers will be moving in in a few weeks, and the fact that he will be out of town for 3 weeks, he wouldnt care if the clippings sat for a week until the debris man could come by and get them.

Ill upload a picture later of the before picture. Ive got a midway picture as well but ill be the first to admit that looks like crap no matter how you did this job. you can see right through the bushes and im not proud that the finished product is gonna look like crap but thats what he asked for and i really need the work so i guess we will just have to make do for now. Im sure a few lessons will be learned out of this but this is probably my biggest shrubs/hedge job to date. I did have to use loppers quite a bit. I knew that from the start. thanks for the input guys. it really helps me out.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-23-2013, 03:51 PM
zechstoker's Avatar
zechstoker zechstoker is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 975
Not sure if this type of work is something you'll end up doing a lot of, but I'll let you in on a little secret of mine: If you have to use loppers frequently on stuff like this, pick up the Black & Decker Alligator Loppers (the 20 volt lithium model). It'll save a boat load of time with these lopping jobs. Works great for a bunch of other trimming work too.
__________________
Zech Stoker
est. 1983
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorLandscapingLLC View Post
Im not sure of the species of bush. its got light green leaves on it. the story is:

.
That's funny You sound like some customers
You call your self a landscaper
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-23-2013, 07:22 PM
TaylorLandscapingLLC TaylorLandscapingLLC is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Crestview Florida
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
That's funny You sound like some customers
You call your self a landscaper
gotta start somewhere dont ya? sorry, but i dont have 25 years in the business. this has been a very part time gig for me up until recently. I also mentioned that i have not done a lot of bush overhaul in the first post. just some minor shaping and trimming. i may not have all the knowledge to be had but im far from a homeowner hack. I am fully licensed and just got my insurance quote this AM. i dont want to step on anyones toes and im not going to blow smoke like i know it all. im not afraid to ask questions and im completely transparent with my skills. Now, i can take a joke, as i assume you are meaning. I just want everyone to understand im not trying to pass myself off for something im not. I have aspirations of doing full on landscaping. at the current time, more people are getting cuts than anything. a few mulch jobs, which ive done in the past, a few bed redesigns, which ive done a couple of, but mostly bi weekly cuts. this is where i come to learn if im unsure. so if you could, please bare with me because im liable to ask a dumb question here and there. thanks for the input thus far. its been more than helpful in the lesson learning ive had to do in the last day or so with this job estimate and execution.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorLandscapingLLC View Post
gotta start somewhere dont ya? sorry, but i dont have 25 years in the business. this has been a very part time gig for me up until recently. I also mentioned that i have not done a lot of bush overhaul in the first post. just some minor shaping and trimming. i may not have all the knowledge to be had but im far from a homeowner hack. I am fully licensed and just got my insurance quote this AM. i dont want to step on anyones toes and im not going to blow smoke like i know it all. im not afraid to ask questions and im completely transparent with my skills. Now, i can take a joke, as i assume you are meaning. I just want everyone to understand im not trying to pass myself off for something im not. I have aspirations of doing full on landscaping. at the current time, more people are getting cuts than anything. a few mulch jobs, which ive done in the past, a few bed redesigns, which ive done a couple of, but mostly bi weekly cuts. this is where i come to learn if im unsure. so if you could, please bare with me because im liable to ask a dumb question here and there. thanks for the input thus far. its been more than helpful in the lesson learning ive had to do in the last day or so with this job estimate and execution.
It was funny is all
the way you put it
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-23-2013, 07:42 PM
TaylorLandscapingLLC TaylorLandscapingLLC is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Crestview Florida
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
It was funny is all
the way you put it
not a problem. i dont mind a little heckling. i didnt think you meant it in a mean way but i figured that was as good a time as any to tell all a little bit about myself. no offense taken.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-23-2013, 07:56 PM
TaylorLandscapingLLC TaylorLandscapingLLC is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Crestview Florida
Posts: 101
Also, i guess this would answer a few other questions as well. My wife is in the Air Force. We have been married 10 years this may, and we are both 28. we have 2 young children. a 5 year old boy and a 3 year old girl. it worked out to my advantage i guess. lol. Since shes in the mil, every time i get a business rolling and get a clientele i have to up and move to another base. This third time, i went to the police academy since my career field/profession is law enforcement, just in a different state. its really competitive where im at and im tired of waiting for hiring freezes to lift and what not so i decided to just do what ive done in the past. Re start my lawn care biz.

before it was always word of mouth jobs on the side apart from my full time LE job. this time, i am a stay at home dad going stir crazy. I went out and bought a 2013 Exmark Lazer Z 52". wife was thrilled I still had a couple stihl power tools but decided to buy a new stihl trimmer, as well as the extended hedge trimmers they have. pretty nice tool if i do say so myself. got a brand new 14' tandem axle trailer and tossed some extreme trimmer racks and backpack blower rack on. I incorporated, applied for insurance under my parameters and boom the business line starts ringing. i dont know how because i have yet to start a marketing campaign but ive had 5 calls in 2 days. it puts some cash in my pocket, gets me out of the house and teaches my children about ambition and motivation. I call the shots like always, and ive got 2 HOA bids ive been asked to submit in the last week. thats me in a nutshell.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,899
Just cut them according to specs and pa attention to what happens... best way to learn...

Your biggest problem may be getting paid from this spastic landowner... Shrubs have become a "Crisis Situation" ,,, give me a break...
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-23-2013, 09:50 PM
GrassGuerilla GrassGuerilla is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Just cut them according to specs and pa attention to what happens... best way to learn...

Your biggest problem may be getting paid from this spastic landowner... Shrubs have become a "Crisis Situation" ,,, give me a break...
I've done lots of broker work over the years. If a bank, or mortgage company is dragging their feet because the bushes or trees are "on the house". Anyone trying to make a commission on the sale will view it as a "crisis situation".

He could give two shits about hacking that thing down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 PM.

Page generated in 0.08866 seconds with 9 queries