Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Toro Stand on Aerator

I have just purchased the Toro Stand on Aerator (formerly Lawn Solutions).Was very impressed with it until it broke down the first day out. Showed the foreman how to operate and off he went to do a large property. I called him around lunch time, he loved the aerator. By 4pm it broke down.

The right side would not work. It was stuck 300ft down a hill. They had to tie it to a Hustler Z and tow it up the hill and push it into the trailer. After looking at it the next day I saw found the problem. The nut that holds the drive wheel to the shaft came loose. No big deal, except now the threads are stipped from towing it up that hill.

Had it dropped off at dealer. He doesn't know when he will get the parts in. Toro does not have that shaft in stock(unbelievable) and they have no date as to when it will be in (UNBELIEVABLE). He micky moused it for now to get me going again.

SO far I am very disappointed with Toro. How can a reputable company like Toro, sell a product and not have parts for it. They should be ashamed.

What the hell it's only $9500. Why am I complaining?

Last edited by Michael J. Donovan; 09-27-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: language
Old 04-20-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the heads up Landscraper1. I demoed the 30" Toro stand-on aerator yesterday at http://www.porterdoitbest.com

pros:
1) Easy to operate
2) Pulled deep plugs
3) Goes fast in open areas
4) Has adjustable down pressure
5) Fits thru 48" gates

cons:
1) Needs at least 48 inches to get into back yards
2) Only 30" effective aeration width (2 1/2 feet)
3) Does not pull as many plugs as necessary Can additional tines be added? (Cuz it should be 2 times more)
4) Tears up turf while turning
5) Foot platform = "slippery when wet"
6) ZTR controls are touchy
7) $9350.00 plus tax = $10,000 or more depending what state you live in.

I would like to hear from others regarding this aerator. Meanwhile, our best aerators are the (walk-behind) TURFCO XT5's.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-20-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Holy old post. How did you dig this out if the woodwork Larry?

Bought a toro last fall and I would agree with most of the above, except most of the cons. We love it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love my Exmark stand-on, same as the Toro. As far as the cons I disagree on several of them. The hydro controls are not touchy IMO, if does pull enough plugs per Sq. Ft., if only tears up turf when turning if the ground is to soft or the times are too deep, I do not find the platform to be slippery, I where decent work hoots when aerating, expensive, yes but the amount of work I get done in a day is way ahead of any other aerator Inhave used and I am not beat up at the end of the day. The one thing you have to keep an eye on is the chain tension, it must be tight. Those chains are under a lot of load.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks guys. I can live with the touchy controls -- no big deal. BTW, the controls ARE touchy compared to most ZTR mowers (say what you want)

"Only tears up turf when the ground is soft" >> okay... is the best time to aerate lawns when the soil is hard & dry?? Kinda wunderin'

I understand keeping the chain tension adjusted on a regular basis, and Toro did a nice job by allowing chain tension adjustments to be made on top instead of underneath like the former LS models.

My only gripe is the "low number of plugs per square foot". You guys happy with making only one pass???

Can additional tines be added on this aerator? Please respond, thanks
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Larry,the Exmark pulls 4.6 plugs per Sq. Ft. while the XT5 pulls at most 6 plugs per Sq. Ft do where do you the idea the Exmark needs twice the amount of tines. As far as tearing the turf when soft I mean really soft. The nice thing about the Exmark is you can aerate when the ground is pretty firm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

True. You can aerate with these machines when the walk behind units won't leave much of a divot. Gentle curves not problem. Tight corners can tear some. The ride on units can probably perform a double pass of aeration and still out produce a walk behind at the end of the day to speed and no fatigue. The controls are probably touchier do to less travel fore and aft of neutral. Pretty much the same as stand on mowers. They are expensive and we don't have enough aerations to justify one, but it does allow us to get done and move on to the next job faster as we are design, install, maintenance. We bought ours with the fleet discount and that makes it much more reasonably priced.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
Larry,the Exmark pulls 4.6 plugs per Sq. Ft. while the XT5 pulls at most 6 plugs per Sq. Ft do where do you the idea the Exmark needs twice the amount of tines. As far as tearing the turf when soft I mean really soft. The nice thing about the Exmark is you can aerate when the ground is pretty firm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Let's just say more tines on this unit was considered and even tested. 3.5" x 9" pattern is it.

This entire more plugs per square foot issue I have gotten away from. I really hate having to mow over more plugs than necessary.

As a promo package for smaller lawns I include 2 gimmie aerations when they sign up for the full meal deal lawn aps and snow over a 12 month time frame.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't want anyone gettting the wrong idea. I do like the aerator. I think it's the best one out there by far. The break down was caused by just a loose nut. Problem I had was that Toro did not have the parts for it.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As a professional I think you know weather the aeration job you did is good as far as the numbers of holes. I seriously doubt any home owner would ever come out and say well doesn't look like your getting 6 plugs per square ft. Larry will complain about any ride-on aerator until Turfco comes out with one, then they will be the greatest thing since slice bread even if Turfco's cost $10,000.