Register free!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They are liking the sod idea best so they have an instant lawn. Probably the route we will be going, taking all the old dead grass off, sod cutting,maybe a little new dirt, and sod.
2008 Chevy Express 3500 Van
2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Reg. Cab
07 Deere 737 (60" 7 IRON)
07 Deere 757 (60" 7 IRON)
07 Deere 757 (60" 7 IRON)
06 Deere 757 (60" 7 IRON)
06 Deere 757 (60" 7 IRON)
14 Deere Z950R (72" 7 IRON)
14 Deere 1025R (60" Autoconnect)
11 Deere 326D Skid Loader
07 Deere G15 (Commercial 36")
01 Deere 455 (60")
11 Haulmark 8.5x22 Enclosed
11 PJ 20' Equipment Trailer
Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I can get grass to grow without irrigation... in fact most of what I'd done involved no irrigation... my comment had to do with neglect during a drought... the idea of putting down sod for someone who will neglect it it(as in Riggle's exa.) is definately going to be a waste of money in the Spring of the year...

I would not be involved in putting down sod onto large areas and expected that the customer is going to treat it right with hoses...
Look at the CONTEXT of the conversation and notice the comments were directed at sod and h.o.s that didn't care for the turf,,, [b]hence the use of Riggle's exa...)
I never use straw anymore becuz it ends up with lots of barespots... it is useful on hills to prevent current from forming, but a well conditioned seed bed, correctly soaked and maintained with proper moisture/air ratio...

Notice the change in CONTEXT between sod and seedbeds??? when telling me I'm a poor landscaper it is SMART to be able to make your claims make sense...
If done right you wont get bare spots from straw.
How did you apply the straw? .
What do you use to cover your seed beds now? Since you don't use straw.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do use straw on hillsides otherwise, just working the seed in to the top 1/4" of soil and SOAKING it in, does the trick...
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I do use straw on hillsides otherwise, just working the seed in to the top 1/4" of soil and SOAKING it in, does the trick...

No cover will slow your germination down.((( You know that, right)))
Straw will protect the seed if you have down pour Straw will keep the soil from sealing up from the down pour. (((You know that, right)))

You have straw blower or you shake it out by hand???

I like to see some of your work , you have any step by step photos
Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Downpours also bunch up the straw and suffocate the ground to create barespots,,, so there is no perfect solution... as long as the downpour doesn't force it down hill in erosion, the straw doesn't do any better than no straw...
The warm soil w/out the straw actually does better with germination as long as it is warm when doing it...

Regardless,,, I don't anticipate doing any more renovations from bare soil anymore,,, as I'm slowly backing out of the business,,, doing only the things which I enjoy... but if someone asks a favor to do their lawn I will likely comply and post some pictures for you...

The best 'cover' for KBG/rye/fescue mix is compost and 10% A. Ryegrass... I might also be able to show picture of pasture plantings of brome grass done on bare soil using oats as a cover crop,,, if we ever do that again... I grew up analysing what works and what is unnecessary in raising farm crops of all sorts,,, and that is why I say all the time... Grass is the simplest thing in the world to grow...
Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Downpours also bunch up the straw and suffocate the ground to create barespots,,, so there is no perfect solution... as long as the downpour doesn't force it down hill in erosion, the straw doesn't do any better than no straw...
The warm soil w/out the straw actually does better with germination as long as it is warm when doing it...You are clueless

Regardless,,, I don't anticipate doing any more renovations from bare soil anymore,,, as I'm slowly backing out of the business,,, doing only the things which I enjoy... but if someone asks a favor to do their lawn I will likely comply and post some pictures for you..

The best 'cover' for KBG/rye/fescue mix is compost and 10% A. Ryegrass... I might also be able to show picture of pasture plantings of brome grass done on bare soil using oats as a cover crop,,, if we ever do that again... I grew up analysing what works and what is unnecessary in raising farm crops of all sorts,,, and that is why I say all the time... Grass is the simplest thing in the world to grow...
Yes its the simplest thing to grow mothernature does that but the hard part is steps leading up to that .

Ok if you say so, Sound like you, Don't know what you are doing. You can tell it but come down to the job cant do it. Since you are backing away from Lawn seeding. Or you don't have right equipment to do the job

This a Lawnsite.com Not a Pasturesite.com

Its not the same, I have a farm and I can tell you its not the same.
Farm seeding is easy with no skill.
Lawn seeding takes skill to get to get thick lush lawns.
You wont get that the way you are doing it.
I like guys like you. They give me extra work when they do a lawn and cut corners like not putting a cover down for seed. I come in fix it right, Good for me bad for customer (((Cheap way isn't always the right way)))
Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The best cover for seed is the soil itself ..... next best would be compost.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Yes its the simplest thing to grow mothernature does that but the hard part is steps leading up to that .

Ok if you say so, Sound like you, Don't know what you are doing. You can tell it but come down to the job cant do it. Since you are backing away from Lawn seeding. Or you don't have right equipment to do the job

This a Lawnsite.com Not a Pasturesite.com

Its not the same, I have a farm and I can tell you its not the same.
Farm seeding is easy with no skill.
Lawn seeding takes skill to get to get thick lush lawns.
You wont get that the way you are doing it.
I like guys like you. They give me extra work when they do a lawn and cut corners like not putting a cover down for seed. I come in fix it right, Good for me bad for customer (((Cheap way isn't always the right way)))
I found some open ground in the area that I doing cleanup today... I can get you some before with the grass lieing on top of the barren soil, from last year, just before the snow fall... We are supposed to have some hardfreezes over the next 3 nites,, so hopefully I'll have some pix of the pimply ground and when the soil completely thaws,,, and the warm rains begin,,, we should have germination...

BTW,,, "SKILL" is an aquired ability, related to a physical activity such as shooting a hoop or finessing the blower to not disturb the dormant seeding, while cleaning the turf of a winter's supply of debris... I think what you really meant to address was the concept of "UNDERSTANDING",,, because that is what makes the grass seed so easy to grow...
Old 04-23-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I found some open ground in the area that I doing cleanup today... I can get you some before with the grass lieing on top of the barren soil, from last year, just before the snow fall... We are supposed to have some hardfreezes over the next 3 nites,, so hopefully I'll have some pix of the pimply ground and when the soil completely thaws,,, and the warm rains begin,,, we should have germination...

BTW,,, "SKILL" is an aquired ability, related to a physical activity such as shooting a hoop or finessing the blower to not disturb the dormant seeding, while cleaning the turf of a winter's supply of debris... I think what you really meant to address was the concept of "UNDERSTANDING",,, because that is what makes the grass seed so easy to grow...
LOL whatever

Sucks here to we getting snow today calling for more tonite
Lows in the high 20s tonite