Register free!

Old 04-24-2013, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

pavers were sealed and are now white.

A customer had their pavers sealed and now they are milky white any solutions? They also had a good coat of poly sand applied to the surface of the bricks and forgot about the joints.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkr02 View Post
A customer had their pavers sealed and now they are milky white any solutions? They also had a good coat of poly sand applied to the surface of the bricks and forgot about the joints.
Posted via Mobile Device
Poly sand is for the joints. Why would it be applied to surface? This doesn't make sense.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Meaning the sand didn't make its way in before they activated the product.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Have the installer come back and fix it. Have him bring a pressure washer, bristle broom and time.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkr02 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Expensive mistake for the sealer guy, either a solvent sealer was applied then pavers were not bone dry or to much sealer was applied in the first coat, if the sealer was waterbased then the first coat was to thick and the sealer skined over not allowing it to cure. You need a solvent based stripper scrub and wipe or extreme pressure power washing and you will Mostlikely blow out some bedding sand doing it. Have at it and have fun hopefully whoever did it is a stand up guy and will do what it takes to correct it. Including a new walk at his expence if all efforts fail.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the ppl went with lowest price.

Posted by Hardscaper in Chief via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

It has been frustrating running into these projects. The companies use non breathable sealer and there price difference is product cost and not having decent cleaning equipment. They get more on the job and further push people into not liking pavers because of "issues". The cost of stripping and properly sealing them. "Well these pavers systems don't last and we'll probably go to stamp or stained concrete." Its just a shame. Especially when we are servicing installs put in the ground over 20 years ago that need minor repairs, and further additions. I was just curious on how different people are dealing with bad seal jobs. I had someone tell me if I had a power washer good enough it would clean it better. Perhaps a 18 hp hot unit isn't good enough what would be better?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2013, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Member

If it's a solvent based sealer I know the Techniseal reps say, Xylene is your friend. You may have moisture trapped under the sealer or it could be efflorescence. What I would do is test a small area with Xylene, This will break down a solvent based sealer and it will let the moisture escape. Efflorescence will take longer to get rid of. Hopefully it's not that. Try the Xylene option on a small area. As a last resort the sealer could be stripped but that is a total nightmare situation and you want to avoid that imho!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

So how much xylene are you thinking for 10,000 sqft?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what the application rate is. Get a small can of Xylene and test on a small area. Always with sealers and cleaners, test , test test. You do not want to start a large area and have a, uh oh moment. I would take a picture and send it off to techniseal. Ask them what they think.