Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got the pictures take yesterday, but got wrapped up in other business, so I didn't get a chance to post these. Anyhow, here's the side-by-side comparison.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The original definitely has a higher lift, but it also has a mulching edge/area, and that type of blade loses some of it's lift due to the higher edge forcing part of the air stream back down into the turf with the mulched clippings. The lower lift blade also has a much longer lift fin, so it's probably close to being a wash.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got the same 21" Exmark. It came with the red blade that is the original you got. This blade bag wells and mulches decently. It does however have an annoying habit of leaving stringers when you cut at 2.5" or above. I've tried to cut with the front set 1/2" lower than the back but the problems still persists.

I contacted Exmark about the cutting issue. They responded by suggesting that I change blades to either their bagging blade or something called the extreme2 blade. Part numbers are: 108-3759 for the bagging blade and 108-0954 for the extreme 2 blade. I have no idea if either one would work.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

what is the part number for the red mulching blade if anyone knows? I have a low lift and atomic or gator looking blade. both are horrible at mulching, and whats the point of bagging all the time with a 21?
Old 08-18-2013, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I typically have to bag with a 21 due to the amount of growth on a number of my lawns. It's not bad though. The bag only fills up once per lawn in most situations, so I'm not having to stop to empty it numerous times at each property. On the flip side, this could easily avoided if I ran a bigger mower that actually mulched properly, but my boss never has ponied up the money for that type of upgrade. At this point, I'm not too concerned about getting that upgrade since I'm planning to switch careers after this Fall.