Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You made a statement that bagging grass higher than 6" couldn't be done, I say it can, your preference on mowers doesn't really interest me...... wait why do you prefer Scag? I thought you owned a Bobcat that mowed the first American Colonies
Old 04-25-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

haha. good one. mind if i keep that for my signature?

oh. and i like scag because they are very well built and cut grass that looks beautiful. the guy that used to make bobcat mowers is actually the one that started scag.

I did not mean to say bagging 6" coudl not be done. i meant to say that bagging 2-4 inch on every day normal weekly cuts is a very bad idea. bagging 6" would not hurt to get the grass to a manageable level. although its a pain and i woudl charge up the ying yang to do it.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We bag in the Spring and Fall. On some smaller properties we don't have a choice but to bag, there is nowhere to discharge clippings..... and yes you may use that quote in your sig
Old 04-26-2013, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
As a service provider it's our job to tell the customer what they need. They are not professionals. And taking away the grass clippings (does not make it look any better) and is positively utterly the worse thing you can do to a yard. you are taking away the very substance that it requires to live.
I'll give you a little advice. Don't under estimate a customers knowledge. Some are smarter and know more about taking care of a lawn then you OR me.

Also, bagging a lawn isn't the worst thing you can do. Sure the clippings are holding a amount of nutrients that help grass grow but if you take away the clippings, the grass will still grow and be green. If a lawn has been recycled for 5+ years, it should be thatched and bagged. I have VERY picky customers. Yesterday one of them came out after I was done double cutting the lawn and said there's clippings everywhere and I'm not happy. I looked at her and said I didn't bag the grass. Now she WANTS it bagged and she said she'll pay me an extra $40 a week to do it! Bagging her lawn will save me time AND I'm going to be making GOOD money on top of good money.

She also said that all the neighbors are raving how nice her lawn looks.
Her neighbor is the mother of former Redskins player Chuck Foreman and while cutting my clients lawn, she came out and asked to make her place look that good. Wam bam thank you mam.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

why do you have nowhere to bag the clippings? and, why bag the clippings while the grass is growing the slowest and not when its growing the fastest.

I can park my mower on my front lawn, put the blades on, turn them off, without moving and cut my yard, and i still have places to let the grass go.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

No. Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by K & K Mowing View Post
birdseedd, how do you mow and trim a 6 1/2 acre lot in an hour and a half? I'm solo and have a same size commercial lot with an auto repair shop on it with a reforestation area and it's at least an 8 hour job on the best day. BTW that job is usually around $275 - $325. Maybe my 55 years is getting the best of me.

Regards, Kevin
I dont care if you are 55 or 25. No way you can mow 6 1/2 acres in 1.5 hours. Bottom Line...
Old 07-29-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dunno. maybe its more 3 or 4 acres. never measured it.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnsonlawncare View Post
I dont care if you are 55 or 25. No way you can mow 6 1/2 acres in 1.5 hours. Bottom Line...
Age has nothing to do with it.
(((Its the equipment you have))) That's The Bottom Line