Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

What don't you like about the Honda HRC

Thinking of getting one. Have a hrx217 now but time for a new one. Anything owners of HRC don't like( ie short run time on tank of gas, too heavy, etc)?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cons:
- Handle bars seem excessively long.
- Air filter gets fouled up quicker than any other 21's I've run in the past, or at least it seems that way.
- Debris gets built up all around the driveline if you don't blow out that part of the mower, which can result in the driveline breaking faster than it should.
- Replacing parts and having a dealership service these mowers is more costly than other mowers of its class.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

they cost alot.

i would just buy 2 hrx217 mowers. they would last as long as 1 hrc mower and be about the same price. best thing about the hrx is the rear discharge and you can 1/2 mulch and 1/2 discharge at the same time.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Built like a tank. Very heavy and leaves some rutting on soft ground. I took the upper gimmick blade off, cut the center out and used it to shim the lower blade. The upper blade does nothing but disrupt airflow and grind grass to wet, green paste. I put the lower blade in a vice and bent the lift to about 45-50 degrees. I then took the governor spring and put it in the very bottom hole on the throttle bell crank. This will increase your max rpms to about 3500-3600 with the blades engaged. This is how the shop increases rpms.It will still idle perfectly and run as normal.. It will use more gas for sure. Now a good mower is now a great mower. The added lift and the single blade coupled with increased rpms is perfect for bagging and wet grass. When you engage the blades the catcher fill up with air so tight you think its going to pop. I have 3 HRC that I have done this too.

I was frustrated with poor vacuum and bagging. This has been a great mod for our hrc mowers. I live in Seattle and we mow and bag wet grass more than dry. This has saved us a ton of time. If you try this you will wonder how you operated before.

These mowers are 2 years old and have had no issues. I will buy Honda again and do the same mod if these ever break.

Good luck the Hondas are well built and reliable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you use them daily they will wear through tires fairly quickly.

The pull starter rope is mounted up along the side of the push frame. It is the one most r3tarded engineering complaints I have of the machine. Have to cut the starter rope down so the grab handle sits in the hole going to the starter flywheel. My old honda commercials always had the starter rope and handle where they should correctly be. On top of the engine and flywheel.

The machines definitely come from the factory with the max power set way to low. You need to bump up the R.P.M's to where you can really get suction and a better cut. After 350 hours each on 2 hrc's, and running 675~700 RPM higher, we see no detrimental effects yet on the engines or the spark plugs and oil we change every 50 hours.

The notches in each height adjuster are in my opinion a bit shallow. We have our share of super rough turf around these parts. We just used an industrial fein multimaster to make the grooves a bit deeper(don't forget to polish and smooth the surface you eat out when you're done, and repaint etc.).

Other than that, so far we have had no other issues with them. The trannys have been strong(no leaks, no grinding). Bearings have been perfect. Keep a schedule of maintenance on them like any other machine and they do what you paid for them to do.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never had any dislikes. Handlebars..... like, tranny..... like, wheels... like, bagging... like, power.... like (had mine turned up at dealer when bought). If u want a beast this is it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The trany is the weak point. I use mine for 2 seasons and then retire the mower.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if i got an hrc i would only get the push version. no tranny to worry about that way.

i don't use a 21" that much so i'll just get the hrx2174vka version with the slip belt arrangemet. only thing that can go bad tranny wise on those is a belt. easy to replace and low cost to buy as well.

i have a craftsman 21" with honda engine now that uses a slip belt arrangement for the self propelled part. i've had it over 10 years and still using the original belt with no problems.