Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Looks like there selling a little "high" right now, take your time it took me over 6 months to find mine and I had to travel to get it.
Larry,

Did you buy a truck from Penske? I know you said you have a Chevy cutaway. If so, do you know how firm their prices are? Do they haggle much?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I actually bought mine from a feller in Georgia. I bought it in 2007, its a 2000 model and had 90k miles on it. It also had the dovetail. I paid 6000$ for it and had to put 4 tires on it <the front were new> that cost 700$. Its been a good truck, I did do alot of stuff to it over the winter, but thats after 5 years of my use. As far as I know it was never a rental truck, if I remember the car fax showed 3 previous owners.

I literally checked on ebay, local paper and truck trader at least once a week. I had found a 1993 that the feller wanted 3000$, and the dovetail would have cost me another 1500$ to 2000$ to get one made up, so I was thrilled to get my truck for 6k.

Be sure if you get one with "wheel wells" that your mowers will fit.

Theres usuall a truck lot in every city selling used penskee trucks, and Iwould imagine that they will deal some. For something 4 to 5 years old plant to spend atleast 10k and a dove tail is likley 2k nowadays.

Dont know how handy you are but "older" box trucks are real cheap. Ive often thought abot getting one just to use for storage
Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

http://m.truckpaper.com/Picture/Inde...categoryId=316

I found this '06 diesel w4500 for $13k. Does anyone know what changes beside the cab design were made for the 2008 model year? What do you guys think of that truck? I'm a little concerned it's from CT, and I've heard the Isuzu's are prone to rust in northern states.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My personal preference is to stck to a gas burner, mine has the old style chev 350 and in a complete engine failure Im looking at 1700$ for a engine.

There should be a lot of late 1990s cabover with 350s for less than 5000$. Problem with a 13k truck it still has a lot of value to be lost, while a 5k truck in a few years might still be worth 5k. Just something to think about.