Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-26-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro 36 or 48 inch Walkbehind

Looking for your advice on which Toro deck you think would provide the better cut and is more practical. I will be mowing 1 acre in the front with some hill and trees to mow around. There is also flat area to mow too. I am looking at the Toro 36 inch T-Bar control fixed deck model number 30674 for $3549 and the 36 inch T-Bar Control floating deck model number 30074 for about $4,600. I am also looking at the 48 inch fixed deck for $3,799. Toro is offering $300 off these mowers until April 30, 2013. I am also looking at the 48 inch floating deck that the dealer wants to get rid of for $4,100. The 48 inch floating deck seems very large and heavy for me but is ideal if I want to cut my 1 acre in the back yard which is a wide open field. I currently have a 44 inch ZTR which I use in the front and back yard. I will be replacing the ZTR in about 2 years. So, which deck, 36 inch or 48 inch should I purchase for the best grass cut to primarily cut the front with some hills and occasionally use to cut my back yard. I have not gates to walk thru with a mower. Some say 2 blades will give you a better cut than 3 blades and the 36 inch is better to maneuver around trees. I need to make decision by April 30, 2013. Any advice, comments, or thoughts will be greatly appreciated by you guys to help make my decision. Thanks

Last edited by Darryll; 04-26-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My take on all I've read around LS over the last 5+ yrs is that a 48" and above is best served by a floating deck...while any ~36" deck is fine as a fixed deck. Hope this helps.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings