Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2013, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Demo'd a Kubota Kommander

Demo'ing one for the weekend. ZG127S model with the 27hp Kohler Courage Pro (SV840). Very impressed to say the least. I mow 1.2 acres. From start to finish it took me less than an hour, in ALOT of mud I might add. I have a couple of summers, 100+ hrs on a ZD331 so I was expecting alot out of this minature 'bota. Of course it's not the 331 but it is very well built. I don't have alot of tree branches hanging down so the ROPS wasn't an issue. When I spoke to the salesman about it, he told me that is one of the big complaints. The paddles are tight and the ground speed is more than enough. I mow at 3 3/4", I was cutiing about an inch and even in the very wet lawn I didn't have no clumping.
I did check out a BB that a buddie of mine has, it wasn't for me. Grady

The dry area of my lawn.

The chute was off after the 1st pass.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Also to add. I was expecting some fillings to fall out of my teeth. I have a few spots that are rough. I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth this rode. Grady
Old 04-26-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Their is nothing "Pro" about a Courage engine. They are a low cost, low hour, junk, throwaway engine for light duty homeowner use. I would be surprised if you can get more that 500 hours before the engine wears out. I like the looks of that mower, and generally like Kubota products. Is there any other engine option for that machine?
I would not buy any ZTR with a Courage engine.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh my gosh put that chute back on. You are really pushing for an accident.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
Their is nothing "Pro" about a Courage engine. They are a low cost, low hour, junk, throwaway engine for light duty homeowner use. I would be surprised if you can get more that 500 hours before the engine wears out. I like the looks of that mower, and generally like Kubota products. Is there any other engine option for that machine?
I would not buy any ZTR with a Courage engine.
I'm thinking maybe someone had a bad experience with the Kohler? That's why I made the post, to get some opinions. But as I've read post after post here on LS, for every 5 guys that don't like the Kohlers, you'll have 5 that don't like the Briggs and so on with the Kaw's.

As I was waiting at the dealer today I was checking out a Snapper and a company rep approached me. We started talking about the Briggs which that model had on it. He swore by them. I told him of all the things that I have read about the dislike, for the Briggs. He told me he used to work for Kohler and yes they had a bad name years ago with issues and they really turned things around. And as he said to me, all 3 have had one or more issues in the past. Coming from a guy that sells ZTR's with mostly Briggs he told me that they are all are good motors. To answer your question MM, the other motor Kubota offers with this model is the Briggs. If I do decide on this one, I sure hope your wrong and it goes before 300 hrs because the warranty is 4 yrs or 300 hrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotfeathers View Post
Oh my gosh put that chute back on. You are really pushing for an accident.
I know it, right? What can I say, I live on the edge! Grady
Old 04-27-2013, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Which Briggs are they offering. some of the newer Briggs engine models are very good.
I was a kohler dealer and sold and worked on the Courage engines. I know from experience they are low cost junk.
The Kohler Command series, are the commercial duty engines.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I want to say it's the Pro series Briggs. Not absolutely sure. They had a couple there and didn't bother looking at them. How long ago did you sell and work on the Kohlers?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello Mowingman and Grady1... Each engine has been especially outfitted for Kubota. The Kubota Kommander ZG124E and ZG127E models are equipped with 24 horsepower Briggs & Stratton Pro and 27 horsepower Cyclonic Commercial Turf engines.

The ZG123S and ZG127S models are powered by 23 or 27 horsepower Kohler Courage Pro Engines and include LED headlights and a full suspension seat however you can add these options on the E models.