Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-26-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
Buy a Scag TT, Cheetah, or Tiger Cat with suspension seat and you won't go wrong. Other mowers with good decks are JDs and Ferris. A Ferris will cost as much as your truck though

We use 52s on properties the size you are talking about.
It must be a regional thing, because I can buy a Ferris here for the same exact money as my JD950, or a Scag TT.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm new on here but I'll share my opinion. I was in the same boat as you but I mow my place which is around 7 acres. No commercial guy her but I'm very particular. I looked at JD , ferris, and Hustler which are the only major dealers in my small town. I also read a great deal of input on here. After a demo of all 3, I chose the Hustler Super Z 72" 35 hp with the VX4 deck. Now I have only mowed 4 times with it but I absolutely love it. I'm not sure about the problems others have had but the cut quality is great. The machine rides great and the power combination is awesome. But I think I would have been happy with any of the 3 machines. The major difference came to the dealer and warranty.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If cut quality is a top concern your choices are Scag, JD and Gravely. All are built like tanks as well. The Gravely 400 series will do 13 mph, cheetah 16 mph and Im not sure on the JD. Some will argue with me but cutting at top speed is hard to do unless on perfectly flat ground. It can also affect cut quality at high speeds. One manufacturer told me after 11 mph it can be a struggle with any machine and you will find that the top speed of a lot of mowers is around 11 mph by design.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with you GMLC as far as utilizing top speed. I have seen countless people on here talking about mowing with their hustlers at full stick. I recently bought a business and a super z came with it. I will be completely honest and say that there is absolutely no way that I could mow full stick on any of my properties and it has the flex forks and suspension seat as well.

I'm fairly sure that no one has only perfectly flat/smooth accounts. So far the best riding mower I have ever used was the ferris 3100z. Nothing like it or me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2013, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by signal10 View Post
I'm new on here but I'll share my opinion. I was in the same boat as you but I mow my place which is around 7 acres. No commercial guy her but I'm very particular. I looked at JD , ferris, and Hustler which are the only major dealers in my small town. I also read a great deal of input on here. After a demo of all 3, I chose the Hustler Super Z 72" 35 hp with the VX4 deck. Now I have only mowed 4 times with it but I absolutely love it. I'm not sure about the problems others have had but the cut quality is great. The machine rides great and the power combination is awesome. But I think I would have been happy with any of the 3 machines. The major difference came to the dealer and warranty.
So far, the problem with the VX4 seems to be limited to the 60" deck for some unknown reason. Those with either 66", or 72" decks always say they are having a great experience with them. The problem is that the 60" is by far the most common size of the 3, and it is definitely not working well for hardly anyone who owns one.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
I'm with you GMLC as far as utilizing top speed. I have seen countless people on here talking about mowing with their hustlers at full stick. I recently bought a business and a super z came with it. I will be completely honest and say that there is absolutely no way that I could mow full stick on any of my properties and it has the flex forks and suspension seat as well.

I'm fairly sure that no one has only perfectly flat/smooth accounts. So far the best riding mower I have ever used was the ferris 3100z. Nothing like it or me.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with you and GMLC (like Ii posted above in another post). Top speed on any of these mowers is a bragging rights thing more than a practicality. You simply cannot cut cleanly at those speeds, especially on northern turf grasses. The blades aren't in any one spot long enough to cut cleanly, not to mention the bouncing around issue. If someone chooses to do it on their own property, that's fine by me, but I don't like to see anyone recommend it to someone who makes their living cutting. It will end up costing them clients sooner or later.