Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanc View Post
Why don't u just cut it 2 inches for him and make him happy, then change it for your other customers
Posted via Mobile Device
my 48 does not have an adjustable deck
Old 04-27-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
I've mowed for 100's of different clients and never once has anyone ever requested a specific height. Odd. I wonder why that is? I've never asked them outright what they want, though. I've had people request bi-weekly....never a specific height.
They don't say it outright because they don't know the specific number, but I have had customers say things like it "looks like it still needs a haircut" when I cut at 3.5, which i take to mean they want it lower. And for every customer who says anything at all, there are probably 5 who are thinking it but never tell you, but then they hire somebody else without telling you why either. So, I make a point of asking the person in charge whether they like the way it was done. If they say anything other than it's exactly what they want, I do it over. 100% customer satisfaction is the goal always, and you have to ask. That's what I found.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

people don't know how many inches a mower cuts at. they think those numbers on residential mowers stand for inches which in most cases they don't. they say cut it at 2" they are talking about the number 2 spot on their residential mower.

i had one guy tell me he cut his lawn at 5".

i've been cutting it at 2" and he hasn't said a word about it being too short or anything.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
people don't know how many inches a mower cuts at. they think those numbers on residential mowers stand for inches which in most cases they don't. they say cut it at 2" they are talking about the number 2 spot on their residential mower.

i've been cutting it at 2" and he hasn't said a word about it being too short or anything.
I cut a few at 5" in the spring growing. Only if I am behind though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post

One guy told me his mower only cut at 3.5, so I looked at it, and it said 3.5 hp.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I cut on "C", or "D".

Toro SR4.

I never bothered to look at the book to see what that equates to in "inches". I don't care - I just use the setting that works best for the lawn I'm cutting.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
I cut a few at 5" in the spring growing. Only if I am behind though.
Posted via Mobile Device
in other words you just skip the yard that day.

hmmm now there's an idea. i'll just not mow people's yards at all since they yards are about 5" before i cut them anyways. i'll say yeah i mowed it at 5". it will keep the grass from turning brown in the summer heat and help keep weeds out. i'm sure that would go over well.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I cut on "C", or "D".

Toro SR4.

I never bothered to look at the book to see what that equates to in "inches". I don't care - I just use the setting that works best for the lawn I'm cutting.
That's basically how it was for me when I first started using the HRC216. Except for me it was: count the height adjustment notches. I suppose I could've just looked it up back then, but never bothered. At least my eXmark has the inches marked clearly on it, so that's been helpful.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

The problem with 2 1/2 inches here is it would have to be mowed every other day, (often it gets it) in order to stay within the 1/3 rule. 2" is really no problem. You can go down to 7/8" with experience especially where equipment maintenence is concerned. It takes a balanced sharp blade to cut the thick stuff and technique. With an understanding customer and the right budget, it can be done. Keep the ball in your own court.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How the heck can you guys cut so low? i'm scalping at 3"